From: Feinler at SRI-KL
Date: Tuesday, 1 July 1980 02:34-PDT

Dear Liaison,

Maj. Haughney of the Defense Communications Agency (DCA) has asked me
to distribute the following ARPANET newsletter to all of you.  Will
you please pass it on to administrators and systems people who may not
otherwise see it.  Send questions and replies to DCACODE535@ISI.
Thanks.

Jake

---------------------------------------------------------------------

GENTLEPERSONS:

     There are several changes forthcoming to the ARPANET over the
next couple of years which will have considerable impact upon the
ARPANET community.  Since you, the liaisons, are the primary point of
contact for users, DCA believes that it is a good idea to keep the
liaisons better informed of actions that will affect you and your
users over the next few years.  To achieve this goal, DCA will publish
a network newsletter which will provide management and technical
information and guidance to you, the liaisons.  This net message is
DCA's first newsletter.  Future newsletters will be provided through
the ARPANET on an as needed basis.  Widest dissemination of pertinent
information contained in this newsletter to ARPANET users by the
liaisons is requested.

   Maj. Joseph Haughney
   DCA


---------------------------------------------------------------------

ANEWS-1                                                   DCA Code 531
1 July 1980                                           (DCACODE535@ISI)
                                                        (202) 692-6175

                          ARPANET NEWSLETTER

---------------------------------------------------------------------

     Over the past eleven years, the ARPANET has grown considerably
and has become the major U. S. Government research and development
communications network.  The ARPANET liaisons have made significant
contributions to the network's success.  Your efforts are voluntary,
but are critical to successful operation of each Host, IMP, and TIP.
Your continued support of the ARPANET is greatly appreciated and will
facilitate continued smooth ARPANET operation.

     To aid you in performance of your duties, DCA will attempt to
provide you with the latest information in network improvements.  This
information is grouped into two major areas: management and technical
improvements.  However, a brief discussion of where we are going with
the ARPANET is in order.

     The ARPANET is still a rapidly growing network.  It provides a
service which is both cost and operationally effective.  We predict
the ARPANET will grow to approximately 100 nodes by 1983, when we will
begin transferring some of the subscribers to DOD's AUTODIN II
network.

     While the ARPANET is quite successful, it does have some
problems.  The basic hardware and software are becoming obsolete.  The
nodes use minicomputers developed in the 1960s which no longer have
sufficient memory and other capabilities to support technical
improvements to the network.  In addition, the ultimate goal of our
planning is to provide for an ARPANET II which will be a virtual
network and make use of several different physical networks (e.g.
AUTODIN II, residual ARPANET, and commercial networks to provide
interconnectivity between users while still maintaining network
transparency.  This goal is subject, as usual, to cost, schedule and
technical constraints.

     The meshing of our immediate problems with our long term goal has
produced the following course of action.  The ARPANET will be
"modernized" over the next three years to eliminate immediate
problems.  We will also develop the capability to readily transfer
ARPANET nodes and users to AUTODIN II, and possibly commercial
networks, when this is financially and operationally feasible.

     Now that we have stated our goal, we will address the various
supporting actions that we are undertaking which will have an impact
on you, the liaisons.


                          MANAGEMENT ACTIONS

ACCESS POLICY

     The ARPANET is not meant to compete with commercial networks.
Commercial networks should be used whenever there is not any
requirement to communicate with ARPANET hosts and/or subscribers.
There have been some developments in work being done on gateways
between commercial networks and the ARPANET.  Some hosts have
implemented such gateways.  However, such interfaces are proscribed
unless specifically authorized by DCA.  Access problems with internet
gateways, as recently evidenced by the illegal access of a Canadian
Firm's computer by someone operating a New York high school's computer
system through a TELENET/DATAPAC gateway, show that technical problems
must still be resolved.  Hence, if you have an unauthorized gateway in
your Host computer, DCA should be informed immediately, and the
gateway terminated or suspended until DCA can review the access
controls for gateways.

     DCA has recently asked the ARPANET Sponsors for a detailed survey
of all ARPANET users.  This survey information will be added to the
Network Information Center (NIC) Identification Data Base.  The reason
for the expanded data base is to provide an all encompassing
description of who, where, and why a user is on the ARPANET.  This
information will be used for planning to move users onto AUTODIN II
and as a validation mechanism for the TIP Log-in program, which we
will discuss later.  To reduce workload on the liaisons, we plan to
send out quarterly updates of the master file which the host and TIP
liaison will be responsible for verifying and updating.  This report
will, hopefully, be initially published in June of 1981.  It will
replace the TIP inventory report which TIP liaisons now send us.  Host
systems which do not have any mechanism for managing backside
terminal/user validation and verification, should establish procedural
or software control mechanisms to obtain the required information.

     You may wonder why we are placing such emphasis on knowing who is
on the ARPANET.  When the network was small, a decentralized
management approach was established due to the nature of the network
and the small community of users. This promoted flexibility and
synergy in network use.  Now that the network has grown to over 66
nodes and an estimated four to five thousand users, flexibility must
be tempered with management control to prevent waste and misuse.  The
decentralized management of network access and resources is still our
objective.  We just want to ensure that we can verify proper resource
utilization and prevent unauthorized penetrations.  We believe that
the data base that we are establishing, can be used as a tool for
improving your and our management control.  We deal in gross
quantities, you deal in the particulars.

     DCA will be publishing a new Host/TIP Liaison Responsibilities
letter in July 1980 which will describe these new reporting
requirements.


TIP LOG IN

     ARPA has let a contract to Bolt Beranek and Newman, Inc. (BBN) to
study and develop, if feasible, a TIP Log-In program and data base.
By mid 1982 this effort should, hopefully, result in a means to
directly control access to TIPS.  The design will take into account
the problems encountered with a previous TIP Log-in effort made on the
ARPANET several years ago.

     The present design suggests an approach where a user would log
into a TIP when he wants access to the network.  The TIP would
transmit the log-in information to a regional data base node, which
would verify the user and validate to the TIP that that user is
allowed network access.  In some cases, this may result in a double
log-in, depending upon the host password system design.  The regional
data bases would be updated on a daily basis from a master data base.
This data base would be constructed based on a permission tree
structure where permissions are delegated down the tree.  For example,
a sponsor would grant permission to a contract monitor to connect a
certain number of users.  The contract monitor would then grant
permissions for that number of users to a contractor, who would then
delegate these permissions to his program manager.  The program
manager could delegate permissions down to the project leader or the
individual users.  When the contract is terminated, the contract
monitor revokes his permission, which deletes the contractor
personnel's access to the ARPANET.

     The previously-mentioned ARPANET NIC Data Base will be used
initially to cross-check the TIP Log-in data base, and hence it's
accuracy is critical to preventing valid users from being temporarily
without service when TIP Log-in is implemented.  The TIP Log-in data
base will be managed by the NIC when it becomes operational.  The TIP
Log-in data base will eventually replace all or part of the NIC data
base, depending upon whether or not we are successful in our
development effort to incorporate terminals which access the network
through hosts into the TIP Log-in software.

     BBN is also studying the feasibility of applying TIP Log-in
mechanisms to host computer users.  Hence, host liaisons should also
ensure that their terminals and users are included in the NIC Data
Base to preclude problems with service, if TIP Log-in is implemented
for the Hosts.

TIP INVENTORY

     For TIP liaisons, we have mentioned that we intend to eliminate
the TIP Quarterly Inventory and replace it with a NIC Data Base
Update. You should be sure of the accuracy of your inputs, because we
intend to structure the TIP buffering mechanism to support only those
TIP ports which are reflected in the NIC Data Base.  All new TIP users
will have to have a complete entry in the NIC Data Base and be
approved by DCA before these users will be permitted access to the
TIP.  NOTE: This procedure includes dial-in users.  Guidelines for
approval and procedures for requesting new user access will be
outlined in the new ARPANET Host/TIP Liaison Responsibilities letter
which will be sent to you in July 1980 as mentioned above, and the TIP
buffering allocation scheme will be enforced as of 1 February 1981.


96 BIT HEADERS

     DCA recently announced by net note that only 96-bit headers will
be accepted by the network nodes as of 1 January 1981.  This date
still stands.  Users, when reviewing the impact of the header change
upon them, should also review their applications software to ensure
their compatibility with 96-bit headers.  We have received some
queries from liaisons who did not realize the possible impacts on
their applications software of the 96-bit headers.

LIAISON MEETINGS

     In order to improve information dissemination between DCA and the
liaisons, we plan to hold a series of one day meetings for liaisons.
These meetings will cover the items discussed in this newsletter plus
any topics, problems, etc., that the liaisons wish to discuss.  These
meetings will occur in the Fall of 1980.  Tentative scheduling for the
meetings are:

GEOGRAPHICAL AREA   DATE       MEETING SITE

New England         21 Nov     To be determined
Washington D.C.     18 Nov     DCA Headquarters
West Coast          30 Sept    Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, CA
Mid West             3 Dec     St Louis Area

     Proposed agenda items, comments, etc., should be forwarded by net
mail to DCACODE535@ISI no later than 15 September 80.

SPONSOR RELATIONS

     The ARPANET has Sponsors who represent the various communities of
interest found on the network.  These Sponsors handle funding and
management of community resources.  DCA Code 535 attempts to assist
the liaisons whenever possible with problem areas and questions that
are not resolved by the NCC or the NIC.  However, your first point of
contact in such situations, should be your ARPANET Sponsor.  In some
cases, the Sponsor may still refer the liaison to DCA.  However, the
Sponsor can sometimes handle the situation within his own resources.
Such contacts can also keep the Sponsor better aware of the services
being provided to his users and enable him to more effectively
represent them.  In other words, it pays to know your Sponsor and work
with him.

CIRCUIT FORECASTING

     AT&T has stated a twelve to eighteen month lead time to provide
wideband 50/56KB service.  This lead time may be even longer in
California.  To provide timely service, they have asked us to forecast
our requirements as much as possible.  These forecasts are not firm
orders, but are used by AT&T for planning purposes to estimate such
things as modem production requirements and transmisssion overbuilds.
If you have, or know of, any new node or high speed VDH requirements
which are being contemplated or discussed, please let DCA know
immediately. These requirements may just be in the discussion stage
and unfunded.  However, by including such possible requirements in our
forecast, we hope to reduce circuit, and hence node/VDH installation
lead times, to a more reasonable time frame.



                              TECHNICAL

NEW ARPANET PROTOCOLS

     The Office of the Secretary of Defense has directed that a set of
DOD Standard Protocols be used on all Department of Defense
communications networks. This directive applies to the ARPANET.  The
ARPANET Host protocols will be replaced over the next three years with
the new DOD Standard Protocol set.  This has a direct impact on host
operating systems and some applications programs that use the ARPANET.
The ARPANET Network Control Program (NCP) will be replaced by two DOD
protocols, the DOD Standard Transmission Control Protocol (TCP) and
the Internet Protocol (IP).  ARPANET FTP and TELNET protocols will
also be updated and standardized.  Planning for this transition is
still under development.  The NIC plans to publish for DCA a new
Protocol Handbook by the end of this year, which will provide details
on the new protocol specifications.

     DCA also intends to provide an ARPANET online protocol
clearinghouse which will provide a repository for already developed
implementations of these protocols and act as a clearinghouse to
resolve problem areas and coordinate new protocol implementation
development.  As soon as the planning is finished, we will publish the
details.  In the meantime, unless you have already begun development
of the protocols, you may want to start budgeting for the protocol
software development for your host.  NOTE: H316 TIP protocol
development is being addressed by an ARPA contract with BBN, and
involves a hardware addition to the TIP which will be discussed later.
DOD Standard Protocol Development for the PLURIBUS TIP is still being
studied as to the most cost and operationally effective way to
implement the protocols.

C/30 PROCURMENT

     The new BBN C/30 IMP and TIP can now be ordered.  These computers
are direct replacements for the Honeywell 316 hardware, and run the
existing IMP and TIP software in an emulation mode.  The C/30 costs
from $20,000 to $35,000 depending upon configuration.  These new
systems will begin to be installed as new nodes in late fall of 1980.
We hope to eventually replace all Honeywell equipment with the C/30s
depending, of course, on funding availability.  Unless there is a need
for a node which requires a large amount of processing power, the BBN
C/30 or equivalent will be the only type of node hardware procurred in
the future.

     The C/30 will also be used to support the DOD Standard TCP and
Internet Protocol implementation in the TIP.  This will be
accomplished by removing the IMP software from the H316 TIP and
placing it in a C/30.  The removal of the IMP software will make room
in the TIP for the installation of the programs to support the new and
existing protocols in the TIP.  All H316 TIPs will require
installation of the C/30 IMP to support the DOD protocols by late
1983.  DCA will contact the Sponsors when an installation schedule is
known.  Sponsor's will approve C/30 procurement.  However, for those
sites which must fund for hardware node procurement, approximately
$20,000 should be budgeted in Fy 1981 or 1982, to support procurement
of the C/30 Protocol TIP expansion hardware.


SUMMARY

     We have attempted to address items which will have a direct
impact on liaisons and their users for the next few years.  If you
have any questions on these subjects, drop DCA and your Sponsor a net
note.  Due to the fact that some of our actions are still in the
planning and development stage, some of the information that we
provided you is nebulous.  However, at least, you have an approximate
idea of what is planned for the network.  We will try to provide the
specifics as they develop and incorporate them in our next newsletter.
If you have any items that you wish addressed in the next newsletter,
please let us know.  We will attempt to address them wherever
possible.
----------------------------------------------------------------------


From Feinler@SRI-KL dow Aug ? 00:00:00 1980
Date: ? Aug 1980 00:00PDT 
To: Arpanet community
Subject: ARPANET NEWSLETTER; ANEWS 2

------------------------------------------------------------------------

   ANEWS-2                                                August 1980

                      ARPANET NEWSLETTER

------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------
TOPIC: TIP Login Addendum. Send replies to DCACODE535@ISI, (202)692-6175
------------------------------------------------------------------------

   The following is further discussion from Maj. Joseph Haughney at 
   Defense Communications Agency (DCA) regarding TIP Login.

      Regards,
      Jake

   ---------

   ADDENDUM TO 1 July 1980 DCA Newsletter

        We have received several messages from users who are concerned 
   with our TIP Login development efforts.  We hope this message will 
   clarify or allay a number of these concerns.  The ARPANET is 
   comprised of a large number of sophisticated users.  We appreciate 
   their interest and advice on possible network improvements and will 
   take these into consideration in making network decisions.  The 
   ARPANET Newsletter was published in part to obtain user reaction and 
   in light of comments received, it has achieved it's purpose.

        The ARPANET currently has an operational budget of approximately
   $5,000,000 per year and represents and investment of over $50,000,000
   in hardware and software by the government.  TIP Login is a method to
   control access to resources so that they can be more effectively 
   utilized.  Our initial efforts are directed to controlling access to 
   the TIPs to prevent unauthorized users from dialing in.  It will 
   permit publishing of TIP phone numbers and allow users to be given 
   access to several TIPs as long as they have authorization for those 
   TIPs in the TIP Login data base.  This concept will be of great 
   advantage to those  authorized users who travel a lot, since they 
   would have a list of phone numbers that they can call anywhere in the
   country, and, if their data base record contains the proper 
   authorization, they can access any local TIP.  This is one advantage 
   of the TIP Login.  Other advantages are:

      a. Accurate representation of network users.  This information
         will increase the accuracy of the WHOIS program and provide
         readily available management information without the necessity
         of the user surveys which we now require.

      b. Development of regional TIPs to support the many users who are
         not associated with TIP sponsoring organizations.  With the
         present situation, we cannot spread the TIP access load among
         several TIPs in the same geographical area.  Knowing who the
         dial in users are, would enable us to shift them to TIPS that
         have spare capacity or justify a regional TIP if the load is
         too heavy.

   

        Another area of TIP Login which is of concern to some users is 
   our mention of the inclusion of controls similar to TIP login for 
   hosts.  The first point to be made is that TIP Login will study what 
   needs to be done and what can be done to control host terminal 
   access.  From our viewpoint, we wish to control unauthorized dial-in 
   access to the ARPANET through the Host front ends.  We are not trying
   to provide a statment of requirements or a design at this time.  As 
   part of the design effort we need to know the magnitude and types of 
   users, so that we can make reasonable decisions on what can and 
   should be done.  That is the reason behind our request for accurate 
   input data.

        In conclusion, TIP Login is being developed to provide the 
   authorized user with improved services.  We have attempted to reduce 
   administrative overhead while improving management control.  Some 
   thought was given to introducing a charging system similar to 
   commercial networks (e.g. by packet, or access period).  Such a 
   system would add economic realism to network use.  However, such 
   mechanisms would be costly to implement and add a lot of needless 
   administrative overhead to the ARPANET.  TIP Login will be designed 
   to support the middle road between minimal network controls that 
   presently exist on the network and complete network access and 
   billing controls as might be found on a commercial network.

From Feinler@SRI-KL dow Sep 10 00:00:00 1980
Date: 10 Sept 1980 00:00PDT 
To: Arpanet community
Subject: ARPANET NEWSLETTER; ANEWS 3

ANEWS-3                                                   DCA Code 531
10 September 1980                      (DCACODE535@ISI) (202) 692-6175

                       ARPANET NEWSLETTER

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Gentlemen/Ladies:

     Enclosed is an announcement of a seminar to discuss the 
implementation of the new DOD Standard Protocols.  Since these protocols
will replace the existing NCP on the ARPANET in the next two years, this
seminar is of importance to those personnel at ARPANET hosts who will be
concerned with implementing the DOD standard Protocols.  For those who 
can attend this seminar, it should be highly educational and 
informative.  We also wish to note that you or your organization will 
have to defray any travel and conference costs involved with your 
attendance.  This seminar will go into much greater detail on the higher
level protocols then we hope to cover in the proposed liaison meetings 
(See recent DCA Newsletter).  In addition, due to funding and scheduling
problems, the liaison meeting schedule presented in the newsletter is 
under revision.  We will make distirbution of a finalized schedule as 
soon as we can firm it up.

Regards,
Joe Haughney  Major USAF
DCA Code 535



---------------------------------------------------------------------

  IMPLEMENTATION OF THE INTERNET AND TRANSMISSION CONTROL PROTOCOLS

   SEMINAR ON THE DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE
   DATA COMMUNICATIONS HOST-TO-HOST
   PROTOCOL STANDARDS

---------------------------------------------------------------------

TIME: November 24-25, 1980

LOCATION: National Bureau of Standards
          Gaithersburg, Maryland

SPONSORED BY: U. S. DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE

   Defense Communications Agency
   Defense Communications Engineering Center
   Computer Systems Division

   Office of the Secretary of Defense
   Under Secretary of Defense for
   Research and Engineering
   Information Systems Directorate

   Defense Advanced Research
   Projects Agency
   Information Processing Techniques Office

------------------------------------------------------------------------

OBJECTIVE OF THE SEMINAR

     The objective of this seminar is to assist personnel who will 
implement the Department of Defense (DoD) Standard Host-to-Host Data 
Communications Protocols.  The seminar will also provide information of 
interest to protocol designers, computer vendors, and others who are 
active in the field.  This two-day seminar will present the technical 
experience gained from DoD research and the corresponding implementation
efforts related to two specific protocols, the DoD Standard Transmission
Control Protocol (TCP), and the DoD Standard Internet Protocol (IP).

     The sessions will concentrate on the TCP and IP specifications (1, 
2), and the implementation of these protocols on different operating 
systems.  On the first day, the seminar will present the motivation for 
the DoD Standardization effort, and will describe the approach for 
managing this effort.  The design concepts and models for TCP and IP 
will be discussed in detail. On the second day, the seminar will address
issues resulting from implementation of TCP and IP on different computer
host and operating systems.  Audience participation and interaction will
be encouraged.

References:

     Attendees are encouraged to become familar with the material in the
references (1,5) in order to obtain the maximum benefit from the 
seminar; each registered attendee will receive a copy of these five 
references.  Reference (6), A Practical View of Communication Protocols,
is an additional source of background material, but it is not required 
for the seminar.

   (1)  Defense Advanced Research Project Agency, DoD Standard
        Transmission Control Protocol, January 1980.

   (2)  Defense Advanced Research Project Agency, DoD Standard
        Internet Protocol, January 1980.

   (3)  Cerf, V. and Kahn, R., "A Protocol for Packet Network
        Interconnection," IEEE Tranactions on Communications,
        Feb., Vol. COM-22, pp. 637-641, l974.

   (4)  Cerf, V.  and Kirstein, P., "Issues in Packet-Network
        Interconnection," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 66,
        No.  11, November, 1978, pp.  1386-1408.

   (5)  Strazisar, V., "How to Build a Gateway," Internet
        Experimental Note 109, August 31, 1979.

   (6)  Cerf, V., and McQuillan, J., A Practical View of
        Communications Protocols, IEEE Computer Society, l978.

---------------------------------------------------------------

ABOUT THE DOD DATA COMMUNICATIONS STANDARDIZATION EFFORT

     The Department of Defense (DoD) Data Communications Standardization
Effort was formally initiated in 1978 by the Assistant Secretary of 
Defense for Communications, Command and Control and Intelligence 
(ASD(C3I)) when he directed the adoption of a set of DoD Standard 
host-to-host protocols based on protocols developed by the Defense 
Advanced Research Projects Agency.  These protocols are the DoD Standard
Transmission Control Protocol (TCP) and the Internet Protocol (IP).  The
Office of ASD(C3I) requested and received from DCA a plan for performing
the function of Executive Agent for DoD Data communications protocol 
Standardization.

     The Defense Communications Engineering Center of the Defense 
Communications Agency and the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency 
have active programs to provide standard protocols for current and 
future DoD data communications systems.  The protocol standardization 
initiative is intended to reduce costs, increase interoperability, and 
facilitate the extendibility of systems.  The goal is to develop 
standard protocols that ensure that DoD interoperability, survivability,
robustness, security, precedence, and compartmentation requirements are 
supported.  Furthermore, part of this goal is the proper coordination of
DoD requirements to ensure that the appropriate services are considered 
by the pertinent standardization forums, and to ensure that DoD 
host-to-host standard protocols are responsive to emerging federal, 
national, and international standards.

     This seminar will provide a vehicle to distribute documentation and
convey knowledge essential for developing expertise within industry and 
educational institutions that support current and efficient 
implementation of DoD communications systems.  Future seminars will be 
planned to provide a forum for exchange of information and ideas.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

TENTATIVE PROGRAM

Seminar on The Department of Defense
Data Communications Host-To-Host
Protocol Standards

NOVEMBER 24, 1980 - RED AUDITORIUM

   AGENDA:  Concepts and Models

   09:30  Welcome to National Bureau of Standards

   09:40  Opening Remarks

      Mr. Steve Walker
      Office of the Assistant Secretary of Defense
        for Communications, Command and
        Control and Intelligence

   09:50  Synopsis of Seminar

      Dr. Robert Lyons
      Division Chief, Computer Systems Division
      Defense Communications
        Engineering Center

   10:10  The DoD Data Communication Protocol Standardization Program

      Dr. Robert Lyons

   10:40  Break

   11:10  Basic Service Features of Different
          Transmission Control Protocols

      Mr. Greg Pearson
      Bolt Beranek and Newman, Inc.

   12:05  The Conception and Evolution of Internetting within DoD,
          and the Internet Model

      Dr. Vinton Cerf, Manager  
      Information Processing Techniques Office
      Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency

   1:00   Lunch

   2:00   The Design of the DoD Standard TCP and IP--Concepts,
          Issues, and Tradeoffs

      Dr. Jon Postel
      Information Sciences Institute
      University of Southern California

   3:15   Break

   3:30   The Design of the DoD Standard TCP and IP--Concepts,
          Issues, and Tradeoffs (continued)

      Dr. Jon Postel

   4:15   DoD Standard Host-to-Host Protocol Implementation
          Considerations Using a Network Front-End

      Mr. John Day
      Digital Technology Inc.

   5:00   End of First Day Activities

NOVEMBER 25, 1980 - RED AUDITORIUM

   AGENDA:  Implementations

   9:30   Implementation of DoD Standard TCP and IP on the
          Multics Operating System

      Mr. David Clark
      Massachusetts Institute Technology

   10:30  Implementation of DoD Standard TCP and IP on
          IBM Operating System MVT

      Mr. Bob Braden
      University of California at
        Los Angeles

   11:30  Break

   11:45  Implementation of DoD Standard TCP and IP on the
          DEC PDP-11 Operating System, UNIX

      Mr. Jack Haverty
      Bolt Beranek and Newman, Inc.

   1:00   Lunch

   2:00   Implementation of DoD Standard TCP and IP on the
          DEC System 20 Operating System, TOPS-20

      Mr. Raymond Tomlinson
      Bolt Beranek and Newman, Inc.

   3:00   Break

   3:20   Implementation of Gateways

      Ms. Virginia Strazisar
      Bolt Beranek and Newman, Inc.

   4:00  Implementation of DoD Standard TCP and IP on the DEC LSI-11

      Dr. David Mills
      COMSAT Laboratories

   5:00  End of Seminar



--------------------------------------------------------------------

   Place in an envelope with your registration fee (checks made payable 
   to "DoD Protocol Standards") and mail to:

      Ms. Fran Nielsen
      Technology Building, Room B-212
      National Bureau of Standards
      Washington,D.C.  20234

-------------------------------------------------------------------

   REGISTRATION FORM

   Seminar on the Department of Defense Data Communications
     Host-To-Host Protocol Standards
   National Bureau of Standards
   Gaithersburg, Maryland

   Nov. 24-25, l980

   Name ____________________________________________________

   Organization  ___________________________________________

   Street Address __________________________________________

   City ___________________ State ____________Zip __________

   Telephone _____________

      Registration Fee Enclosed -- $25   OFFICIAL USE ONLY

                                         x Csh.  x Ck.

                                         Date ________

                                           By ________

-------------------------------------------------------------------



   Mail reservations for BELTWAY LIMOUSINE to the following:

      BELTWAY LIMOUSINE SERVICE INC.
      12051 Tech Road
      Silver Spring, Maryland 20904

___________________________________________________________________

   Please make a reservation for me on the BELTWAY LIMOUSINE as follows:

   Name: ___________________________________________________

   No. in Party: ___________________________________________

   Time of Arrival: _____________________________________ AM

      ______________________________________ PM

   At _____________________________________________National Airport

      _______________________________________________Dulles Airport

   Airlines and Flight No. _______________________________________

   Destination (hotel) ___________________________________________

   BELTWAY LIMOUSINE, the only airport limousine service between 
   National and Dulles Airports and Rockville, Gaithersburg & Prince 
   Georges County can be reached by calling (301) 622-0700.

   

___________________________________________________________________

   SCHEDULE OF FARES-ONE WAY; PER PERSON

      NATIONAL  DULLES

Holiday Inn, Gaithersburg           $10    $10

Washingtonian, Gaithersburg          10     10

Sheraton-Potomac Inn, Gaithersburg  10     10

Ramada Inn, Rockville                10     10

Holiday Inn, Capital Beltway         10     12

Holiday Inn, College Park            10     12

Interstate Inn, College Park         10     12

Quality Inn, College Park            10     12

Adult Ed. Ctr., Univ. of Maryland    10     12

Hampshire Motor Inn                  10     12

Ramada Inn, Lanham                   10     12

Sheraton Inn, Lanham                 10     12

Inn State Inn, Camp Springs          10     12

Holiday Inn, Camp Springs            10     12

*PASSENGERS ARE MET AT THEIR TICKET COUNTER.

------------------------------------------------------------------



GENERAL INFORMATION

REGISTRATION

     A registration fee of $25 is being charged to all attendees to help
defray the costs of conducting the Seminar.  Advanced registration is 
requested in order to complete local arrangements.  Please send the 
enclosed registration form along with your registration fee (checks made
payable to DoD Protocol Standards, no purchase orders, please) to:

   Ms. Fran Nielsen
   Technology Building, Room B-212
   National Bureau of Standards
   Washington,D.C. 20234

The Seminar registration desk will be open at NBS beginning at 8:30 
a.m., Nov. 24, outside the Green Auditorium.

HOUSING

     Although the sponsors of the Seminar do not recommend these hotels 
over other available lodging in the area, for your convenience, a block 
of rooms at special rates has been reserved at the Washingtonian ($38 
single and $46 double) and at the Sheraton-Potomac Inn ($46 single, $56 
double) for Seminar attendees.  Please call the Washingtonian 
(301/948-2200) or the Sheraton (301/840-0200) to make reservations 
before Nov. 10, l980. When calling the Washingtonian, please refer to 
"DoD Protocol Standards" room block, calling the Sheraton, refer to 
Group #766.  This will identify you as a participant and therefore 
eligible for the special rates.

TRANSPORTATION

     The Washingtonian and the Sheraton-Potomac Inn are accessible from 
National and Dulles Airports via the Beltway Limousine Service.  A 
reservation card is enclosed in the brochure for your convenience.  
Please call the limousine service upon arrival at the airport to 
reconfirm your pick-up time.

     Daily bus service will be provided between the Seminar hotels and 
NBS.  A bus schedule will be available in the lobby of each hotel.

LUNCHEONS

     Fixed-menu lunches, included as part of the Conference activities, 
will be served in the NBS Cafeteria.

MEETING ROOMS

     All sessions will be held in the Green Auditorium of the 
Administration Building, National Bureau of Standards, Gaithersburg, 
Maryland.

FOR FURTHER TECHNICAL INFORMATION:

   Ms. Fran Nielsen
   (301) 921-2601

From Unknown dow Oct 22 00:00:00 1980
Date: 22 Oct 1980 00:00PDT 
To: Arpanet community
Subject: ARPANET NEWSLETTER; ANEWS 4

---------------------------------------------------------------------

ANEWS-3 [sic]                                            DCA Code 531
22 October 1980                       (DCACODE535@ISI) (202) 692-6175

                       ARPANET NEWSLETTER

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Liaison,

It is time to remind all of you that Extended (New) Leader format must 
be implemented by all ARPANET hosts as of January 1, 1981.  Although we 
can determine that the host interface software is working with the 
extended leaders, we cannot determine if application software has been 
changed to accommodate the extended leader format.  Please review 
application software packages on your host(s) with the proper contacts 
to be sure the packages are compatible with the new format, thus 
avoiding cutover problems.

Enclosed is a list of hosts that are not yet supporting Extended (New) 
Leader format for your information.  The list was compiled by Bob Hinden
at BBN.

Again I urge you to review any problems you may have locally with 
extended leader incompatibilities, and to be prepared to make the 
cutover by Jan. 1.

Maj. Joe Haughney
DCA

************************************************************************

Hosts Not Supporting Extended (new) Leader Format Status as of 10/16/80
( * indicates Host has not been up to check )

IMP# SITE NAME  HOST# INT. HOST NAME       HOST CPU TYPE

 1   UCLA       HOST 0  L  UCLA-ATS        PDP-11/45
                HOST 2  D  UCLA-SECURITY   PDP-11/45

 2   SRI2       HOST 0  L  SRI-TSC         PDP-11/40
                HOST 2  D  SRI-VIS11       PDP-11/10
              * HOST 3  D  SRI-NSC11       PDP-11/40 -> SPS-41

 3   NOSC       HOST 2  V  LOGICON         PDP-11/45

 4   UTAH       HOST 0  L  UTAH-11         PDP-11/45 -> FPS AP-120B

 7   RAND       HOST 3  L  RAND-UNIX

 8   NRL        HOST 2  V  NSWC-WO         CDC-6500

 9   HARVARD    HOST 0  L  HARV-10         DEC-10
                HOST 2  V  NUSC-NPT        PDP-11/70

10   LINCOLN    HOST 3  D  LL-11           PDP-11/45

13   GUNTER     HOST 0  D  GUNTER-UNIX     PDP-11/35

15   AMES15   * HOST 2  L  I4B-TENEX

16   AMES16     HOST 0  L  AMES-67         IBM 360/67

17   MITRE      HOST 0  L  MITRE           PDP-11/70
              * HOST 1  V  CTO-DDF         PDP-11/70

18   RADC       HOST 1  D  RADC-XPER       PDP-11/40

19   NBS        HOST 0  L  NBS-10          DEC-1050T
                HOST 1  V  WHARTON         VDA -> DEC-10
                HOST 3  L  NBS-UNIX        PDP-11/45 -> INTERNAL NETWORK

21   LLL        HOST 0  D  LLL-COMP        PDP-11/70
                HOST 1

22   ISI22      HOST 0  L  ISI-SPEECH11    PDP-11/45 -> FPS AP-120B

23   USC        HOST 3  L  USC-ECL         DEC-10

25   DOCB       HOST 1  V  USAFA-GATEWAY   PDP-11/40

26   PENTAGON * HOST 3  L  PENT-UNIX       PDP-11/35

28   ARPA       HOST 3  L  ARPA-XGP11      PDP-11/40 -> XGP

29   ABERDEEN   HOST 0  L  BRL             PDP-11/40

31   CCA        HOST 0  L  CCA-TENEX       DEC-10 -> DATACOMPUTER
              * HOST 1  D  CCA-SPEECH      PDP-11/40
                HOST 3  D  CCA-SIP         PDP-11/40

32   XEROX      HOST 0  L  PARC-MAXC       MAXC
              * HOST 1  L  PARC-GATEWAY    NOVA-800 -> INTERNAL NETWORK
                HOST 2  L  PARC-MAXC2      MAXC
                HOST 3  L  SCI-ICS         FOONLY F-2

33   NPS      * HOST 1  V  FNWC            PDP-11/60 -> CDC-6500

34   LBL        HOST 1  D  LBL-UNIX        PDP-11/34
                HOST 2  V  BERKELEY        PDP-11/70

35   ACCAT      HOST 1  V  NOSC-SDL        PDP-11/40

39   SDAC       HOST 0  L  SDAC-CCP        CCP -> PLURIBUS
              * HOST 2  L  SDAC-NEP        IBM 360/40
                HOST 3  L  SDAC-44         IBM 360/44

41   NORSAR     HOST 0  L  NORSAR-40A      IBM 360/40
              * HOST 1  V  NDRE            NORD-10

42   LONDON     HOST 0  L  LONDON          PDP-9 -> (360/195s)
                                           (GEC 4080)
                HOST 1  V  LONDON-VDH      PDP-9 -> EPSS ->

44   MIT44      HOST 1  V  LL-ASG          PDP-11/50

45   MOFFETT  * HOST 0  L  MOFFETT-ARC     DEC-10

48   AFWL     * HOST 1  V  ASL             PDP-11/10

49   RCC49      HOST 2  L  BBN-SPEECH11    PDP-11/40 -> SPS-41 ->
                                           FPS AP-120B

51   SRI51      HOST 2  D  SRI-UNIX        PDP-11/40

52   ISI52      HOST 0  L  ISI-XGP11       PDP-11/40 -> XGP

54   CIT        HOST 1  D  CIT-11          PDP-11/34

56   SUMEX      HOST 0  L  SUMEX-AIM       DEC-1077

58   NYU        HOST 1  V  BNL             PDP-11/34 -> 2 CDC-6600s

59   SCOTT      HOST 0  D  ETAC            PDP-11/45

From Unknown dow Oct 28 00:00:00 1980
Date: 28 Oct 1980 00:00PDT 
To: Arpanet community
Subject: ARPANET NEWSLETTER; ANEWS 5

Gentlepeople:

Per our previous newsletter, we have enclosed a new Host/TIP Liaison 
Duties letter.  We hope that it clarifies your responsibilities better 
than the previous one.  Two items of importance to TIP Liaisons are that
the TIP Inventories will still be required for the immediate future.  
The October report for 1980 should be submitted not later than 15 
November 1980 if you have not already done so.  TIP phone numbers for 
dial in service will also be changed.  Some sites have not been doing 
this.  We will publish a schedule next month stating when sites should 
change their numbers.  Changes will start 1 January 1981.

You have all received in a previous message the list of hosts which have
not implemented 96 bit leaders.  With the changeout of IMP software on 1
January 1981 to support 96 bit leaders, hosts with 32 bit leader 
software will not be able to interact with the network.  That means no, 
repeat no, ARPANET service for such Hosts.  Liaison should inform their 
system software personnel to proceed posthaste to implement the 
necessary software, if they have not already done so.

DCA CODE 535



---------------------------------------------------------------------

ANEWS-5                                                  DCA Code 531
28 October 1980                                      (DCACODE535@ISI)
                                                       (202) 692-6175

                 ARPANET TECHNICAL LIAISON DUTIES

---------------------------------------------------------------------

The ARPANET Technical Liaison act as advisors to network users, the 
Network Information Center (NIC), the Network Control Center (NCC), and 
the Defense Communications Agency (DCA) on technical matters relating to
the ARPANET.  The liaison are the chief source of information about 
individual ARPANET hosts.  They often contribute to the design of 
network protocols and related software and make suggestions for needed 
changes and improvements through memos, RFCs (network technical notes), 
and participation in network working groups.  The liaison are a valuable
network resource and the first point of contact for most ARPANET users.

The liaison are traditionally individuals trained in computer science, 
telecommunications, or a related field, and are familiar with the 
resources available at the hosts they represent.  Each host on the 
network has no more than one technical liaison; however, the same person
may serve as liaison for more than one host.  The technical liaison are 
coordinated by the Manager of the ARPANET Network Information Center, 
currently Elizabeth Feinler (FEINLER@SRI-KL).

LIAISON DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:

1.  The primary responsibilities of the Host/TIP liaison are to help 
monitor the ARPANET against unauthorized use and to provide assistance 
and guidelines to ARPANET users.  The liaison is frequently the first 
person approached by potential ARPANET users, or the first person to 
become aware of unauthorized use of network resources.  Liaison are 
expected to adhere to the following guidelines and procedures in 
carrying out these responsibilities:

   A.  ATTACHING HOSTS OR TERMINALS TO THE ARPANET -  Permission to 
   connect hosts or terminals to the ARPANET can only be granted by a 
   sponsoring agency through DCA.  The liaison or host administrator 
   should obtain permission to occupy a host port from the ARPANET 
   sponsor of the node to which a host or terminal is to be connected.  
   The node in question may belong to a sponsor other than the one 
   sponsoring the work to be done on the host or terminal to be 
   connected.  If this is the case, approval must be obtained from the 
   controlling sponsor who will determine whether the requirement is 
   valid, the port is free, and the resources are available to support 
   the interface.  The controlling sponsor will in turn submit a request
   to initiate the connection to DCA.  Only after all of these 
   permissions are obtained may a host or terminal be added or changed 
   on an IMP or TIP.  The liaison should inform any individuals at their
   facilities who may wish to connect hosts or terminals to the ARPANET,
   of this procedure.

   B.  PROVIDING HOST INFORMATION TO THE NIC AND DCA -  Upon completion 
   of the host installation and prior to the host passing traffic, the 
   liaison must contact DCA Code 535 (DCACODE535@ISI) via the ARPANET 
   for final validation.  DCA will then instruct BBN to set the IMP's 
   host access permission words to allow traffic to pass to and from the
   host.  Before this validation can occur, the host liaison must 
   provide the NIC and DCA Code 535 via ARPANET with his or her full 
   name, U.S. mailing address, phone number, and network mailbox (if 
   this has not already been done), as well as the host name, host 
   address, operating system, computer configuration, and network 
   sponsor for the newly installed host.  NOTE:  Please choose the host 
   name carefully so that it does not need to be changed.  Unnecessary 
   host name changes create confusion and require considerable extra 
   data maintenance throughout the network. 

   C.  AUTHORIZING USERS FOR ARPANET ACCESS - Permission to use the 
   ARPANET can only be granted by authorized host administrators to 
   users with valid accounts.  The liaison should refer all requests for
   such access to the proper administrators or the principal 
   investigators of government contracts before permitting a user to 
   access the ARPANET.  ARPANET users must provide the NIC with their 
   name, address, phone number and network mailbox.  They must also 
   include the name of the government agency sponsoring their use of the
   ARPANET.   Users who are not members of U.S. government agencies must
   also provide the contract number under which they are working and its
   expiration date to the NIC before using the ARPANET.  (TIP users 
   should include in addition the name of the TIP that they normally use
   for access.)  This information will be used to produce the ARPANET 
   Directory and will be listed in the NIC's ARPANET Directory Data 
   Base.  Liaison should periodically review accounts with ARPANET 
   access.  Users whose access to the ARPANET is no longer required or 
   valid should be removed, and the NIC should be so informed.

   The host account administrator or principal investigator is required 
   to validate his users or contractors, and to see that the NIC is 
   informed of any changes either directly or through the host liaison. 
   The host liaison will inform all local account administrators or 
   principal investigators of this procedure and assist them in keeping 
   the user information updated.  If, after following this procedure, 
   there are still doubts about whether a user can have ARPANET access, 
   contact DCA Code 535 for final arbitration.  NOTE:  If an individual 
   has not been approved by the proper administrator and has not been 
   listed in the NIC data base, he or she should not be using the 
   ARPANET.  All unauthorized use of the ARPANET is prohibited.

   D.  MONITORING GATEWAY ACCESS -  If it is possible to gain access to 
   the ARPANET from another network (gateway) or from a tributary 
   terminal of a host via the IMP-host connection, it is the 
   responsibility of that host to provide software protection which will
   permit only authorized ARPANET users to access the network.  These 
   interfaces must be documented by letter to DCA for approval.  The 
   letter should provide a brief description of the interface, who uses 
   it, and the software and/or hardware protection mechanism.  DCA 
   reserves the right to disapprove such gateways.  The liaison should 
   inform administrators of local or 'foreign' networks, who might wish 
   to establish gateway connections to the ARPANET, of this procedure, 
   and disallow any gateway access until it has been approved.

   E.  DISTRIBUTION OF TIP PHONE NUMBERS - Distribution of TIP dial-in 
   numbers is entrusted to the TIP liaison.  These numbers should not be
   released to requesting users unless the release has been authorized 
   by the TIP's sponsor.  TIP numbers will be changed annually on a 
   schedule published by DCA.  Evidence of unauthorized use of these 
   numbers should be reported to DCA.  The liaison should emphasize to 
   the user when providing the dial-in number, that the number is for 
   his use alone.  If it is found that the user has passed the number to
   unauthorized parties, the user's access rights will be revoked.

   F.  AUTHORIZING DEDICATED TIP PORTS - Prior to a TIP port being 
   activated to support a dedicated terminal access, the TIP liaison 
   should contact DCA for final validation.  The request should contain 
   the information outlined in the TIP inventory below.  It should also 
   include the desired activation date so that DCA can request that the 
   NCC enable the TIP port on that date.

2.  The liaison help to coordinate equipment moves or installations, or 
circuit moves or installations affecting the ARPANET backbone or the 
IMPs and/or TIPS.  Info copies of Telecommunications Service Requests 
(TSR's) will be sent to the liaison from DCA, informing them of any 
changes in backbone circuitry, terminal and/or host additions/deletions.
The liaison should help coordinate access to the IMP or TIP by TEL CO or
BBN to perform actions called for in the TSRs.  Unless a TSR has been 
received authorizing equipment moves/installations or circuit 
moves/additions, no such moves or installations should be made without 
contacting DCA Code 535 for authorization.  Normal maintenance actions 
are excluded.  NOTE:  Liaison for hosts/TIPS on Army installations 
should be aware that circuit changes/connections must be coordinated 
with the U.S. Army Communications Command (USACC) and copies of TSRs 
provided to the post C-E officer.

3.  TIP liaison are required to forward to DCA Code 535 a quarterly TIP 
inventory in the format outlined below (RCS #DCA(Q)530-49).  The 
inventory is due by the 15th of January, April, July, and October of 
each year. Transmission via ARPANET is acceptable.  A copy of the 
inventory should also be provided to the agency sponsoring the TIP.  
NOTE:  A report is required indicating that no changes have occurred if 
this happens to be the case.

4.  In the first five working days of each month the NIC will provide 
via the ARPANET, a table of ARPANET Host Names, Liaison, and Sponsors.  
Liaison will be asked to review entries on this list pertaining to their
TIPs or Hosts for accuracy, and to provide changes as soon as possible 
to the NIC.  If host or TIP liaison are changed, the old liaison should 
provide the name, address, telephone number, and network mailbox of the 
new liaison to both the NIC and DCA Code 535 as soon as possible.

5.  Each liaison is expected to provide the NIC with a description of 
equipment, software, people, and interests pertaining to their 
designated hosts in accordance with the formats outlined by the NIC.

6. In addition each liaison is responsible for providing the NIC with 
updated personnel information for the ARPANET Directory and online 
ARPANET Directory Data Base.  This may be done in coordination with 
sponsors, host administrators, and principal investigators.  For very 
large organizations this activity may be delegated to an individual 
other than the liaison.  Also, individual users may send their own 
information via the network to the NIC.  However, it is the 
responsibility of the liaison to coordinate the flow of this information
from his or her host(s) to the NIC.

7.  The liaison is expected to keep local users informed about 
procedures and happenings related to the ARPANET (such as announcements 
in the ARPANET Newsletter).  The Liaison will be the recipient of 
official messages pertaining to the ARPANET.  These messages should be 
'posted' and/or passed on to local users, administrators, or other 
personnel who may have an interest or a need to know.  Unless otherwise 
specified, messages sent to the liaison are considered general 
information messages which can be widely distributed to user and 
administrative constituencies.

8.  The liaison serve as the local ARPANET contact for their respective 
host(s).  The liaison provide information to their local users about 
ARPANET procedures, and they also provide information to non-local 
ARPANET users about local host procedures and resources.  They often 
assist in bringing up new hosts by providing network software and 
folklore.  The liaison can either provide help directly or refer users 
to the proper local contact.  Requests by users for information about 
other ARPANET hosts may be referred to the liaison of the host in 
question or to the NIC.  (As a rule of thumb the NIC answers general 
questions about contacts, procedures, and resources on the ARPANET, and 
the liaison answer specific questions about their own hosts.)

9.  Liaison should inform the NCC and DCA of network backbone problems 
and network software bugs, and generate Unsatisfactory Service Reports 
if necessary.  They ensure that ARPANET protocols are implemented 
properly at the host level.  (This activity may be delegated if the 
liaison is not the maintainer of the network software.  However, the 
liaison is expected to be the contact for protocol information 
distributed to the hosts and to see that the right person receives it.)

10.  If an illegal access to the host occurs through the ARPANET, the 
liaison will advise DCA of the pertinent details in addition to 
following normal host security procedures.

11.  Contacts

   DCA Code 535
   Telephone:  (202) 692-6175/6176
   AUTOVON:    222-6175/6176
   ARPANET:    DCACODE535@USC-ISI

   Network Information Center (NIC)
   Telephone:  (415) 326-6200 ext 3695
   ARPANET:    FEINLER@SRI-KL

   BBN Network Control Center (NCC)
   Telephone:  (617) 661-0100
   ARPANET:    POWERS@BBN-TENEXE

   

                         QUARTERLY TIP INVENTORY
                          (RCS# DCA(Q) 530-49)

   TIP Name______________________________              Date_____________

   Octal        TYPE               Modem            User (if leased)
   MLC      D-Dial R-Room   Bit    Mfgr &   Telco  Sponsor (if dial-up)
   Port       L-Leased      Rate   Model    Ckt #

   1

   2

   3

   4

   5

   6

   7

   10

   11

   .

   .

   .

   77

   In addition provide a list of users who have received TIP dial up 
   access phone numbers, along with their network mailbox addresses and 
   their organizations.

   USER                   MAILBOX                  ORGANIZATION

   Signed____________________________________________    (TIP Liaison)

   * User information for dedicated circuits should contain 
   organization, terminal location and type, and contract number if 
   non-government agency.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

From Unknown dow Mar 30 00:00:00 1981
Date: 30 Mar 1981 00:00PDT 
To: Arpanet community
Subject: ARPANET NEWSLETTER; ANEWS 6

 ANEWS-6                                                DCA Code 531
 30 March 1981                       (DCACODE535@ISI) (202) 692-6175

                       ARPANET NEWSLETTER

---------------------------------------------------------------------

GREETINGS:

Once again we provide "pearls of wisdom" on actions and planning for the
ARPANET which directly concern your hosts and you as Liaison.  Pleading 
ignorance of the items discussed will no longer be considered a valid 
excuse for liaison nonparticipation.

CIRCUIT INSTALLATION

We have had some problems recently with Telephone Company personnel 
arriving at a site to install a circuit, only to have the liaison refuse
them entrance.  When DCA issues a Telecommunications Service Request 
(TSR) for a new circuit, we provide an information copy to the liaison. 
Granted these TSRs are not always easily understandable since they are 
in a machine input format; however, block 401 is the 'remarks' section, 
and we normally attempt to explain in that section what is going on.  
You should keep all copies of TSRs for reference so that if the 
telephone company calls up to install, remove, or change a circuit, you 
are aware of what is going on.  If you have any questions or do not have
a record of the TSR, please call us or send us a letter.  We will 
attempt to answer your questions and provide clarification.

An example of a situation which has recently caused confusion is one in 
which a site has all of its host ports filled, and the Liaison there is 
puzzled as to why we are ordering an additional wideband circuit.  The 
added circuit is needed for the planned expansion of the network which 
will require the installation of additional backbone circuits at 
existing sites (most nodes can take three or more).

NODE RELOCATIONS

Over the next two years, we will replace all of the H316s and H516s on 
the network with C/30's.  If you are planning to move your existing 
node, you may want to plan to have the move coincide with the C/30 
installation.  If you do plan to move the node, please let your Sponsor 
know, so that he can advise us.  The C/30 installation TSR will not 
cover the move of the supporting circuitry.  Based upon the Spronsor's 
request we will write additional TSRs to move the backbone circuits, and
any other circuits that we ordered, to the new location.  Local circuit 
relocations are your responsiblity and will normally be performed 
through the telephone company and/or the local  government telephone 
management office.

TIP INVENTORY

We recently put out new guidelines in a past newsletter on TIP inventory
reporting.  TIP Inventory Reports last quarter were noticeable by their 
absence.  These reports are NOT opitonal.  If there is no change to the 
previous report, so state.  In addition, the NIC will now be responsible
for maintaining the TIP inventory data base.  Thus, all TIP Inventory 
Reports should go directly to the NIC with an information copy to DCA.  
NOTE:  Those TIP ports for which TIP inventory information is not 
provided will be considered not in use and will be software disabled as 
of 1 August 1981.  Ports can be reenabled by providing the required TIP 
inventory information to the NIC and DCA who, upon receipt of the 
information, will direct the NCC to reenable the port.

96 BIT HEADER

The 96 bit header software has been fully implemented on the network. 
Congratulations and thanks to those of you who worked to make the 
cutover successful.  Our next major netwide effort will be to cutover 
all hosts to the new DOD Standard Protocols by 1 January of 1983.  This 
is the cutoff date and it will be enforced.  Network implementation 
details will be made available in follow-on newsletters.

TIP ACCESS

The advent of lowcost, home computer systems has subjected the ARPANET 
to increased probing by computer freaks.  We are implementing in the 
near future, a TIP Log-in which will provide additional network access 
control.  At present, however, only procedural controls can be 
implemented.  When TIP Liaison pass out TIP dial-up phone numbers, they 
should advise the user that the number is for his or her use only and 
should not be passed on to anyone else (co-worker, relative, etc.).  It 
should also be pointed out that by passing out the number to 
unauthorized persons, that the user is denying service to himself.  The 
unauthorized user can hog the dial-up port, thus preventing legitimate 
user access.  Further, dial-up access may be cut off until the advent of
TIP Log-in, for those sites where it is established that illegal use 
continues to cause problems.  Thus it is in the user's best interests to
keep his or her dial-in number secure.

Maj. Joe Haughney
DCA Code 531
Defense Communications Agency

----------

NOTE:  Previous issues of the ARPANET Newsletter are online on the 
SRI-KL machine as <netinfo>anews-1.txt, <netinfo>anews-2.txt, etc.  They
may be FTPed from your local host using username 'anonymous' and 
password 'guest'.

From Feinler@SRI-KL dow Jun 19 02:34:00 1981
Date: 19 Jun 1981 1750-PDT
From: Feinler at SRI-KL
Subject: Netnews - Goodbye KL, hello NIC
To:   ARPANET-8:
Redistributed-To: bboard at USC-ISIB
Redistributed-By: HOLG at USC-ISIB
Redistributed-Date: 22 Jun 1981

----------------------------------------------------------------------

 ANEWS-7                                   NETWORK INFORMATION CENTER
 20 June 1981                            (NIC@SRI-NIC) (415) 859-3695

                       NETWORK NEWSLETTER

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Net Users

As of Wednesday, June 24, 1981, the Network Information Center (NIC) will leave
the SRI-KL machine and move to a new location on the SRI-NIC machine (0/73 
dec).  After this date the <NETINFO> directory containing RFCs and IENs, 
Network News, Protocols, and other files of network interest; and services such
as NIC/Query and the WHOIS server and data base will only be accessible on 
SRI-NIC.  (PLEASE NOTE: This host is on a high-numbered IMP.  Unfortunately, 
those of you who are on machines which have not fully implemented 96-bit 
leaders will be unable to reach the NIC.  All I can suggest is that you 
complain to your local systems programmer.  I have pleaded with my Project 
Monitor for a low-numbered IMP to no avail!)

We also have a new direct-dial phone number - (415) 859-3695.

The NIC gets a large volume of network mail.  In the past most of it has been 
directed to FEINLER@SRI-KL.  From now on we would like to ask any of you 
sending mail to the NIC to address it to.....NIC@SRI-NIC.  This will keep me 
from being a bottleneck, and hopefully will expedite handling of bugs and 
requests for documents or information.  Mail sent to SRI-KL will be forwarded 
for a brief interim period.

I would like to take this opportunity to introduce you to the NIC staff.  These
are the people behind NIC@SRI-NIC:

   Mary Dyer - Technical editor
   Ken Harrenstien - Systems programmer
   Hal Huntley - Technical editor
   Johanna Landsbergen (Jojo) - Programming assistant
   Francine Perillo - Library assistant
   Glenn Sherwood - Consultant
   Vic White - Systems programmer

We hope you will bear with us as we settle into our new 'digs', and  please 
contact us if we can be of service to you.

Regards,
Elizabeth Feinler, Mgr.
Network Information Center

P.S.  Please don't try to use SRI-NIC before June 24th.

-------

From Feinler@SRI-NIC dow Sep 15 19:18:00 1981
Mail-from: ARPANET host SRI-NIC rcvd at 15-Sep-81 1918-PDT
Date: 15 Sep 1981 1856-PDT
From: FEINLER at SRI-NIC
Subject: Network Newsletter
To: Netnews-Group: ;

---------------------------------------------------------------------
ANEWS-8                                                  DCA Code 232
15 Sept 1981                                         (DCACODE232@ISI)
                                                       (202) 692-6175
                  DoD NETWORK NEWSLETTER

---------------------------------------------------------------------

USE OF THE ARPANET

The following is in answer to the many requests for guidelines as to who
may use the ARPANET:

   Only military personnel or ARPANET sponsor-validated persons working 
   on government contracts or grants may use the ARPANET.

DCA access enforcement policy will consist of the following procedure. 
If unauthorized users are found on the net because of a weak or 
nonexistant host access control mechanism, we will review the host's 
access mechanisms and request improvements.  If the host refuses a 
review or refuses to make the suggested improvements, we will take 
action to terminate its network access.  This is a club of last resort, 
but we will use it to protect other network users who have invested time
and money to bring their controls up to par.

If Sponsors have delegated access authority to host and TIP liaison or 
host managers, it is the duty of these delegates to enforce access 
control mechanisms for their connected systems and subsystems.  All 
hosts connected to the ARPANET...and that includes GATEWAY hosts and 
hosts with forwarding mechanisms...will implement access controls so 
that unauthorized traffic is stopped.

Files should not be FTPed by anyone unless they are files that have been
announced as ARPANET-public or unless permission has been obtained from 
the owner.  Public files on the ARPANET are not to be considered public 
files outside of the ARPANET, and should not be transferred, or their 
contents given or sold to the general public without permission of DCA 
or the ARPANET sponsors.  Hosts which use a "guest" or "anonymous" FTP 
login convention should inform their local users about the ramifications
of this convention with respect to unprotected files, as the users are 
not always aware that their files can be FTPed.

NETWORK INFORMATION GATHERING:

The NIC has been designated by DCA to run a yearly survey to obtain 
information for the ARPANET Directory.  Providing information for this 
survey is a requirement levied on all users who have ARPANET access. 
Some hosts have run similar surveys which have confused users and 
created a lot of duplicative reporting, not to mention a burden on the 
user.  In the future, we request that any survey of users for directory 
purposes, other than a survey of users on a local host, be coordinated 
through DCA and the NIC.

In addition, the NIC is authorized by DCA to collect information for the
ARPANET Resource Handbook.  Liaison or other host designates are 
expected to make this information available to the NIC on request.

TIP INVENTORY

The NIC has also been designated as the central repository for the TIP 
Inventory Data Base.  The NIC will be sending out a TIP Inventory Update
Request in the next week.  All TIP liaisons will be responsible for 
updating these reports or filling in the report where no prior input 
exists.  Response time on these reports is 9 October 1981.  If no report
is received after this period, DCA will direct BBN to software disable 
those TIP ports for which no input has been received.  If no change has 
occurred in the TIP inventory since the last report, you should send DCA
(DCACODE252@ISI) a message stating that with cc: to NIC (NIC@NIC).  Our 
new database capability will permit us to better enforce this reporting 
and make the updates hopefully, much easier.  Your cooperation is 
requested and appreciated.

----------

FAREWELL

I will be leaving for civilian life, and wish to announce a change of 
personnel at DCA, the ARPANET Network Manager.  Cmdr Kirkwood and Capt. 
Parker will be assuming the management role.  In my two years as manager
the network has grown to approximately a 100 nodes and is in the process
of hardware and protocol modernization.  I hope it will continue to grow
in the future and provide better services and capabilities to you the 
user.  The next two years will be a time of great change and many 
interesting improvements. I really hate to leave but I must.

Good Luck,

Joe Haughney Major USAF

-------

From Feinler@SRI-NIC dow Oct 21 18:49:00 1981
Mail-from: ARPANET host SRI-NIC rcvd at 21-Oct-81 1849-PDT
Date: 21 Oct 1981 1337-PDT
From: Francine Perillo <PERILLO at SRI-NIC>
Subject: ANEWS-9
To: anews1: ;

                  The ARPANET HDH Host Interface
 
There is a new alternative host interface for the ARPANET C/30 IMPs
called HDH (HDLC Host).  This interface method is similar to the
existing VDH (Very Distant Host) interface in that it provides for
reliable transmission of messages between the host and its IMP over a
communication circuit of arbitrary length.  As with VDH, the HDH
interface can be used with communication circuits that range in speed
from 9.6KB to 56KB. 
 
HDH is superior to the VDH interface in that it uses as a reliable
transmission protocol the HDLC protocol which is the link level control
procedure of the CCITT international standard X.25.  HDLC is supported
by a much wider range of vendor equipment than the special ARPANET VDH
protocol.  It is also technically superior to VDH in that it provides
for a window of up to seven outstanding frames instead of the two
allowed by VDH, thus increasing the potential throughput.  The HDH
interface is also capable of accepting a full-length ARPANET host/IMP
message in a single frame, where VDH always requires fragmentation into
buffer-sized frames.
 
The HDH protocol is composed of three layers: the reliable transmission
protocol layer (HDLC), an encapsulation layer, and the host/IMP layer
(1822).  The HDLC layer is a full implementation of the CCITT X.25 Level
2 only, it does NOT extend to the X.25 Level 3 protocol. The HDH level 2
is capable of operating in either LAPB or LAP mode.  In addition, the
framing and data transparency scheme can be either bit-oriented (HDLC)
or byte-oriented (Bisynch).  The encapsulation layer provides some
additional link-level functions not provided by the standard HDLC layer.
These include line quality monitoring and loopback mode.  This layer
operates in one of two modes, packet or message.  In packet mode,
host/IMP messages are segmented into a series of frames containing a
separate host/IMP leader and data packets no larger than 128 data bytes,
requiring up to nine frames per host/IMP message.  In message mode,
complete host/IMP messages can be sent in a single frame.  The host/IMP
layer is the standard ARPANET host/IMP protocol (1822) with 96-bit
leaders. 
 
The HDH interface will be available only on C/30 IMPs equipped with a
specialized I/O board that can accomodate up to 16 HDH ports.  Although
the VDH protocol will continue to be supported for some time, new hosts
are encouraged to adopt the HDH interface in order to gain increased
performance and to take advantage of standard vendor host hardware and
software.  The entire HDH protocol is documented in BBN Report 1822, the
host/IMP layer in Section 3, the encapsulation layer in Appendix J, and
the HDLC layer in Appendix K.  For more information contact Nancy Mimno
(Mimno@BBN-UNIX or 617-497-3623). 
 
-------
-------
From NIC@SRI-NIC dow Feb 15 21:26:00 1982
15-Feb-82 21:26:52-PST,10728;000000000001
Mail-from: ARPANET host SRI-NIC rcvd at 15-Feb-82 2126-PST
Date: 15 Feb 1982 2014-PST
From: Nic at SRI-NIC
Subject: Network News #10
To:   Arpanet-Liaison:
cc:   nic

=====================================================================
ANEWS-10                                                 DCA Code 252
12 Feb 1982                                           (DCACODE252@ISI)
                                                       (202) 692-6175

                  DoD NETWORK NEWSLETTER

=====================================================================

   TOPICS:  - Liaison Meetings to discuss TCP/IP transition
            - C/30 IMP/TIP/TAC conversions
            - TCP/IP online digest

---------------------------------------------------------------------

ARPANET LIAISON INVITED TO MEETINGS TO DISCUSS TCP/IP TRANSITION

   The ARPANET Liaison are cordially invited to attend one of two 
   meetings scheduled for March 1982 - one on the East Coast and one on 
   the West Coast - to discuss the planned transition from the NCP 
   protocols to the TCP/IP protocols during 1982.  This transition is 
   part of a larger DoD standardization activity which was set into 
   motion in April 1980 by Gerald Dinneen, then the Assistant Secretary 
   of Defense for Command, Control, Communications and Intelligence.  In
   his April 3, 1980 directive, Dr. Dinneen identified the Transmission 
   Control Protocol and Internet Protocol as ratified DoD standards and 
   placed DCA in charge of managing their further development, 
   specification, and application in multinetwork environments.

   Since that time, DCA, DARPA, and other DoD representatives have 
   worked to refine the specifications and to test a variety of 
   implementations on a wide range of computers, operating systems, and 
   networks.  Just as it did a decade ago, tha ARPANET community is 
   leading the way into a new networking territory of great importance 
   to the future of US military command and control systems.  This 
   transition effort on the ARPANET has the sanction and encouragement 
   of the DCA ARPANET Management Branch and the DoD protocol 
   standardization organization as well as the support of the Office of 
   the Undersecretary of Defense for Command, Control, Communications 
   and Intelligence.

   Glynn Parker, Major, US Air Force
   Manager, ARPANET
   DCA Code 252

----------

TIME AND PLACE OF MEETINGS

        **** NOTE: ****   Please RSVP via network mail by 1 March 82

   EAST COAST

      TIME:     Friday -- March 26, 1982 -- 10 A.M.
      PLACE:    Bolt, Beranek, and Newman, Inc.
                70 Fawcett Street
                Cambridge, MA
                First floor auditorium
      CONTACT:  Margaret Alexander, (ALEXAND@BBN-UNIX), (617) 491-1850

   WEST COAST

      TIME:     Monday -- March 29, 1982 -- 10 A.M.
      PLACE:    SRI International
                333 Ravenswood Avenue
                Menlo Park, CA
                Keidanren Conf. Room IS109, Intnl Bldg.
      CONTACT:  Elizabeth Feinler, (FEINLER@SRI-NIC), (415) 859-3695

      **** Note: ****  See below for further travel instructions

----------

THE C/30 UPGRADE ON THE ARPANET

   The ARPANET IMPs and TIPs are based on Honeywell 516 and 316 
   computers which are reaching the limit of their useful lifetimes.  
   Bolt Beranek and Newman has developed a replacement processor called 
   a C/30 which has already been installed at a number of sites on the 
   ARPANET.  The ARPANET sponsors are generally planning to order 
   replacements through DCA for all the Honeywell IMPs on the network. 
   ARPA has ordered a number of C/30 IMPs to replace existing ones. In 
   addition, the ARPANET TIPs are being upgraded to include both NCP and
   TCP/IP software along with TELNET protocol as part of the general 
   transition into the internet environment.

   The upgraded TIPs are being re-named TACs (Terminal Access 
   Controller) and perform only host functions.  A Honeywell TIP becomes
   a TAC when it is plugged into an IMP host port and its software is 
   re-loaded to include both NCP and TCP/IP protocols.  BBN has also 
   developed a C/30 TAC and there are a few of these on the net as well.

   Over the course of calendar 1982 and probably into early 1983, the 
   Honeywell IMPs will be replaced with C/30 IMPs.  Also, all the 
   Pluribus TIPs and IMPs will be replaced with C/30 IMPs and C/30 TACs.

   As an ARPANET sponsor, DARPA/IPTO has ordered or will order C/30 IMPs
   during 1982 to replace all the Honeywell or Pluribus IMPs for which 
   it is responsible.  Honeywell TIPs will be converted to TACs.  In 
   1983, DARPA will begin replacing the Honeywell TACs with C/30 TACs so
   that, by the end of calendar 1983, the DARPA/IPTO sites will have 
   been fully converted to C/30 equipment.  The other ARPANET sponsors 
   have similar plans, although I cannot vouch for the precise timing of
   their actions.

   I have requested that BBN send to each site liaison a configuration 
   plan for the C/30 IMP replacements for which DARPA/IPTO is 
   responsible.  Ms. Judy Gordon (JGordon@BBN) has or will shortly be 
   sending to a subset of the liaisons, the configurations we are 
   ordering for those sites.  I would appreciate liaison review of the 
   configurations and response to Judy Gordon if there are questions or 
   problems.  Particular attention should be paid to planning for 
   connector and cable arrangements as these have often been a problem 
   area in the past when a C/30 replacement IMP arrives at a site.

   If you are a liaison who has not or does not within a couple of weeks
   received such a configuration plan, I urge you to get into contact 
   with your ARPANET sponsor to determine the plans for your C/30 IMP 
   replacement.

   Details about the C/30 product line can be obtained from Judy Gordon.

   Vint Cerf
   Principal Scientist
   DARPA/IPTO

----------

TCP/IP DIGEST

   Mike Muuss at the Ballistics Research Lab., Md. has started a special
   interest group on TCP/IP protocols which you may want to join.   He 
   would be happy to add you to the distribution list for his TCP/IP 
   Digest, and would like to receive current information on TCP 
   implementations and questions/answers on status and issues.  The NIC 
   would also like to be cc:ed (NIC@SRI-NIC) on the latter.  

   Contact Mike@BRL.

----------

TRAVEL INSTRUCTIONS FOR LIAISON MEETINGS

   GETTING TO SRI INTERNATIONAL

   Most of the Liaison can either drive in or fly in for the day.  The 
   meeting does not start until 10 AM to give people from Southern 
   California time to get to SRI from the airport.  Hotels are listed 
   below for anyone who plans to stay overnight.

   Menlo Park is about equidistant between San Francisco or San Jose 
   airports, so flights to either airport are OK.  To get to SRI in 
   Menlo Park take Freeway 101 (also called The Bayshore) north from San
   Jose, or south from San Francisco, to the Willow Road/Menlo Park 
   (west) exit (don't take the Willow Road/Dumbarton Bridge exit or you 
   will be headed in the wrong direction).  Drive up Willow Road to the 
   3rd traffic light which will be Middlefield Road.  Turn right on 
   Middlefield Road.  At the 2nd traffic light turn left onto Ravenswood
   Ave.  SRI is a red brick building on the left.  Turn into the main 
   entrance, enter the main door behind the white pillars, and check in 
   with the receptionist.  Visitor parking is on the left facing the 
   building.

   To reach the hotels, continue over the railroad tracks to the next 
   light which will be El Camino.  Turn left if staying at the Mermaid 
   Inn or Holiday Inn and right if staying at the Menlo Motor Lodge.

   If you are not renting a car, it is best to book a limosine in 
   advance.  The limos are fairly expensive...about $18.  There are some
   buses, but the schedules are not good for reaching Menlo Park, 
   unfortunately.

   Hotels in the area are:

   Walking distance

      The Mermaid Inn, ($25-30 range)
      727 El Camino Real
      Menlo Park, CA 94025
      (415) 323-9481

   Close by (less than a mile)

      Menlo Motor Lodge,  ($25-30 range)
      1315 El Camino Real
      Menlo Park, CA 94025
      (415) 326-7530

      Holiday Inn, ($50 range)
      625 El Camino Real
      Palo Alto, CA 94035
      (415) 328-2800

   TO GET TO BOLT, BERANEK, AND NEWMAN, INC.

      From Logan Airport, take Sumner Tunnel to Southeast Expressway - 
      North (2nd exit up the ramp after tunnel).  Take Storrow Drive 
      exit, and follow Storrow Drive to end, and then follow Rt. 2-3 
      (Fresh Pond Parkway) to Howard Johnson's.  Bear left at traffic 
      rotary, so ARCO service station is on your right.  Second right is
      Fawcett Street.  Parking is available in the small lot in front of
      the building.

      Hotels near BBN

      Harvard Motor Inn
      ll0 Mt. Auburn Street
      Cambridge, MA
      617-864-5200
      Rates:  single $53; double $59
      (in Harvard Square, approximately 4 miles from BBN; Bus #74 or 
      #78)

      Hotel Commander
      16 Garden Street
      Cambridge, MA
      617-547-4800
      Rates:  single $58; double $78 (25% discount coupons #74 or #78 
      thru 3/31/82) (near Harvard Square; approximately 2 1/2 miles from
      BBN; bus #74 or #78)

      Brattle Green Motor Inn
      1720 Massachusetts Avenue
      Lexington, MA
      617-862-6100
      Rates:  single $33; double $37.50
      (in Lexington Center, approximately 8 miles from BBN; Need 
      car/taxicab)

      Holiday Inn of Cambridge
      1651 Massachusetts Avenue
      Cambridge, MA
      617-491-1000
      Rates:  single $48; double $58
      (just outside Harvard Sq., approximately 2 1/2 miles to BBN; Bus 
      #74 or #78)

      Sonesta Hotel
      5 Cambridge Parkway
      Cambridge, MA
      Rates:  single $78.50; double $85+
      (about 10 minutes by car/taxicab to BBN)

      Ramada Inn
      1234 Soldiers Field Road
      Brighton, MA
      617-254-1234
      Rates:  single $48-$59; double $56-$67
      (about 10 minutes by car/taxicab to BBN)

      Howard Johnson Motor Lodge
      777 Memorial Drive
      Cambridge, MA
      617-492-7777
      Rates:  single $49-$61; double $57-$71
      (about 10 minutes by car/taxicab to BBN)

      NOTE:  all rates quoted above are plus tax

-------

From NIC@SRI-NIC dow Mar 2 13:11:00 1982
2-Mar-82 13:11:55-PST,1740;000000000001
Mail-from: ARPANET host SRI-NIC rcvd at 2-Mar-82 1311-PST
Date:  2 Mar 1982 1147-PST
From: Nic at SRI-NIC
Subject: Network News #11
To:   Netnews-Dist:
cc:   nic

=====================================================================
ANEWS-11                                                 DCA Code 252
2 Mar 1982                                           (DCACODE252@ISI)
                                                       (202) 692-6175

                  DoD NETWORK NEWSLETTER

=====================================================================

             TOPIC:  - Misuse of the ARPANET

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Liaison,

We have received many complaints from users about a chain letter that 
has circulated around the ARPANET since mid February.  Such use of the 
Net is contrary to DoD policy, and those who participate in such or who 
permit it's continued occurrence via facilities under their control do 
so at risk.  Early efforts to stop the circulation of this chain letter 
have been ineffective, and more drastic measures are being considered, 
up to and including the possibility of removing entire facilities from 
the net if appropriate.

Please assist us by informing your users that they must not forward such
messages under any circumstances, and that they risk loss of Net 
privileges by so doing.  Some users already have lost their access to 
the Net because of this matter.

We greatly prefer to see matters of this nature corrected at the 
liaison/host level, but will not hesitate to act if results are not 
forthcoming.

Major Glynn Parker
ARPANET Management Branch
Defense Communications Agency

-------

From NIC@SRI-NIC dow Jun 18 15:55:00 1982
18-Jun-82 15:55:41-PDT,3235;000000000001
Mail-from: ARPANET host SRI-NIC rcvd at 18-Jun-82 1555-PDT
Date: 18 Jun 1982 1510-PDT
From: Nic at SRI-NIC
Subject: NETWORK NEWSLETTER
To:   ANEWS-DIST:

=====================================================================
ANEWS-12                                                 DCA Code 252
11 June 1982                                           (DCACODE252@ISI)
                                                       (202) 692-6175
                  DoD NETWORK NEWSLETTER

=====================================================================
             TOPICS:  - DCA Reorganizes
                      - TIP Inventory Reports
                      - C/30 Upgrade
---------------------------------------------------------------------
DCA REORGANIZES

   DCA is being reorganized to carry out the DoD decision to cancel 
   AUTODIN II in favor of an ARPANET-based system, known as the Defense 
   Data Network (DDN).  As part of this reorganization, the ARPANET 
   Management Branch has become a part of the DDN Program Managers 
   Staff.  This action has been taken to insure that actions to 
   implement the DDN will have minimum impact upon services to ARPANET 
   users.  As a result, Code 252 is now Code B645.  Messages addressed 
   to DCACODE252 at USC-ISI will continue to reach us.
   
CHANGES TO PROCEDURES FOR SUBMISSION OF TIP INVENTORY REPORT

   The following changes have been made in the procedures for submission
   of the TIP Inventory Report:
   
   1.  SUBMISSION OF REPORTS:  Reports are to be submitted to a new 
   address: TACSTATRPT@BBNB.  Previous addressees (i.e., NIC@NIC, 
   Huntley@SRI-NIC, etc.) should no longer be cc:ed.  Reports are to be 
   submitted during the first week of each quarter, i.e., the first week
   of January, April, July, and October.  Each quarterly report should 
   be complete within itself, even though the information is unchanged 
   from the previous quarterly report.
   
   2.  FORMAT CHANGES:  Facilities will be identified both by name and 
   address, e.g. DCEC-TIP, 2/20. Under the column heading, "TYPE", use 
   the following codes to indicate the type of port:
      H = Hard wired
      D = Dial-up.
   Other codes may be used in addition to these if needed; however, such
   other codes as are used must be explained at the bottom of the 
   report.
   
C\30 UPGRADE

   Most sites have already placed their orders with BBN for C\30 
   equipment to replace the older Honeywell H316 and H516, and BBN 
   Pluribus nodes on the ARPANET.  There are still a few stragglers, 
   however, who have not yet placed their orders.  Although we can 
   understand the budgetary constraints which some of you are under, we 
   cannot allow the Network as a whole to suffer as a result of a few. 
   Some have wondered what will happen if a given node has not been 
   upgraded by the January 83 deadline.  Such nodes will, of necessity, 
   be reconfigured out of the network for the benefit of those who have 
   upgraded.  We regret this necessity, but will have no choice in the 
   matter.
   
   Sincerely,
   
   Major Glynn Parker
   DCA Code B645
   ARPANET Management Section
-------

From NIC@SRI-NIC dow Jul 14 03:00:00 1982
14-Jul-82 03:00:28-PDT,4500;000000000001
Mail-from: ARPANET host SRI-NIC rcvd at 14-Jul-82 0300-PDT
Date: 14 Jul 1982 0206-PDT
From: Nic at SRI-NIC
Subject: Network Newsletter # 13
To:   ANEWS-DIST:

=====================================================================
ANEWS-13                                                DCA Code B645
12 July 1982                                         (DCACODE252@ISI)
                                                       (202) 692-6175

                  DoD NETWORK NEWSLETTER

=====================================================================

             TOPICS:  - TIP Inventory Reports Needed ASAP
                      - NIC Host Name Servers are now up
                      - Call for Papers ACM SIGCOMM '83

---------------------------------------------------------------------

TIP/TAC INVENTORY REPORTS ARE NEEDED NOW, PLEASE

There are a number of TIP/TAC inventory reports which are overdue.  
Those TIP/TAC Liaison who have not yet submitted their input should do 
so immediately.

   ===> NOTE:  Send reports online to TACSTATRPT@BBNB  <===

               Do NOT send them to the NIC

The new procedures for submitting TIP/TAC Inventory Reports was outlined
in ANEWS-11 for those of you that are new or missed reading it.

NIC HOST NAME SERVERS AND TCP/IP NOW AVAILABLE

TCP/IP is now supported by the SRI-NIC AUGUST(TENEX) monitor, and TCP 
Telnet can be used to access NIC services online.

The first version of the DoD internet Hostnames Service is now available
from the ARPANET/DDN Network Information Center machine, SRI-NIC, via 
NCP, TCP, or UDP.  The NCP and TCP versions meet or exceed the 
specifications outlined in RFC 810 and 811 (cpu type has been added).  
The UDP version meets the basic IEN 116 specification, and is a simple 
binary query/response name/address service. 

We request (with some trepidation) that you try the servers and send 
additional information and feedback to NIC@NIC.  The NIC will maintain 
the old-format (Host#/IMP#) host table for a period of 2 months.  The 
old table now has the pathname [SRI-NIC]<NETINFO>OHOSTS.TXT.  The 
new-format table is in the file [SRI-NIC]<NETINFO>HOSTS.TXT and also in 
<NETINFO>NHOSTS.TXT.  We continue to depend on all of you to provide the
NIC with information on ARPANET/DDN hosts and other pertinent hosts, 
nets, and gateways,  while work progresses toward development of name 
domains.

The SRI staff involved were: Ken Harrenstien - protocols, servers, and 
UDP; Mary Dyer - host table; Henry Miller - TCP/IP;  Geoff Goodfellow, 
Jim Mathis, Holly Nelson, Zaw-Sing Su, and Bill Westfield also 
contributed.

This work was funded by DCA and was a joint effort of the SRI Network 
Information Center (NIC), the DARPA Internet Working Group, the Network 
Liaison, the BBN Network Operations Center (NCC), and the Defense 
Communications Engineering Center (DCEC).  Jon Postel of USC-ISI, Deputy
Director of the DARPA Internet User's Group and Internet Configuration 
Control Board, consulted with the NIC on the protocols and helped edit 
the gateway and network names and numbers.  ISI, DCEC, and BBN helped 
with TCP/IP testing.  The Network Liaison provided the host information,
as did many others representing 'foreign' nets.  Thanks to all.

ACM SIGCOMM '83 SYMPOSIUM ON COMMUNICATIONS ARCHITECTURES AND PROTOCOLS

Dr. Vint Cerf from DARPA would like to call to your attention the Call 
for Papers and upcoming ACM SIGCOMM '83 Symposium on Communications 
Architectures and Protocols.  The symposium will cover such topics as: 
network and communications software applications; new architectures; 
protocols and network algorithms; standards; techniques for design, 
testing, validation and performance evaluation; models for verification 
and specification; and distributed systems for message-switched 
networks. 

   Deadline for full paper submission    Sept. 1, 1982
   Notification of acceptance            Oct. 15, 1982
   Camera-ready manuscripts due           Dec. 1, 1982
   Symposium itself                    March 8-9, 1983

Submit 5 copies of each paper by Sept. 1, 1982 to

   Prof. Simon S. Lam
   (Attn: SIGCOMM Symposium)
   Department of Computer Sciences
   University of Texas at Austin
   Austin, Texas 78712

The Symposium will be held at the University of Texas at Austin.

-------

Sincerly,

Jake Feinler/NIC for
Defense Communications Agency

-------

From NIC@SRI-NIC dow Sep 6 16:30:00 1982
Mail-from: ARPANET host SRI-NIC rcvd at 6-Sep-82 1630-PDT
Date:  6 Sep 1982 1521-PDT
From: Nic at SRI-NIC
Subject: Network News No. 14 - Please Read - Important Announcement!!
To:   ANEWS-DIST:
cc:   NIC-STAFF:

=====================================================================
ANEWS-14                                                DCA Code B645
6 August 1982                                        (DCACODE252@ISI)
                                                     (202) 692-6175/6

                  DoD NETWORK NEWSLETTER

=====================================================================

      ATTENTION!  - Netwide TCP Experiment - October 1, 1982

---------------------------------------------------------------------

On October 1, from 12:00 to 16:00 EDT, a TCP-only experiment will be 
conducted on the ARPANET.  During this period, the ARPANET IMPs will be 
disabled from sending NCP Host-to-Host traffic, and network traffic 
measurements will be made.

The method that will be used to disable the NCP traffic will be for the 
IMPs to reject any messages submitted by the hosts that use link 0 
(i.e., that have bits 65-72 in the 1822 leader set to zero).  If an IMP 
receives such a message, it will respond to the host with a type 7 
(destination host or IMP dead) subtype 3 (communication with the 
destination host is administratively prohibited) message (see BBN Report
1822, Page 3-30).  This response is consistent with the IMP's present 
behavior, and this is similar to the method that was used when short 
leaders were removed from the network.

During the test, hosts that are running NCP and TCP in parallel with 
shared remote host state tables may encounter some problems unless their
NCP is turned off for the duration.  Several TOPS-20 TCP implementations
fall into this category, and other hosts may as well.  TCP-only hosts 
should encounter no difficulties, and NCP-only hosts will be unable to 
use the network.

It is important to note that this method of disabling NCP traffic will 
be used once the network passes the TCP-only date next year (1 Jan 83), 
so your host software should (if it cannot now) be able to correctly 
recognize and handle type 7, subtype 3 messages from the IMP.

Any technical questions concerning the test may be directed to Andrew 
Malis (Malis@bbn-unix).  Any administrative questions should be directed
to DCA Code B645 (formerly Code 252) (DCACODE252USC-ISI).

Regards,
Jack Snively
DCA Code B645(252)
ARPANET Managment

Telephone: (202) 692-6175/6176 or (AV) 222-6175/6176.

-------

From NIC@SRI-NIC dow Sep 24 00:43:00 1982
Mail-from: ARPANET host SRI-NIC rcvd at 24-Sep-82 0043-PDT
Date: 23 Sep 1982 2342-PDT
From: Nic at SRI-NIC
Subject: Network Newsletter No. 15
To:   ANEWS-DIST:
cc:   feinler

=====================================================================
ANEWS-15                                                DCA Code B645
23 Sept 1982                                         (DCACODE252@ISI)
                                                       (202) 692-6175

                  DoD NETWORK NEWSLETTER

=====================================================================

             TOPIC:  - Vint Cerf leaves DARPA

---------------------------------------------------------------------

To all my friends and colleagues in the DARPA/DoD community:

As many of you now know, I have accepted a new position with MCI 
Telecommunications beginning on November 1.  I will be responsible for 
data network development.  I will leave DARPA on October 15 (leaving 2 
weeks to clean my basement...).  I will remain in the Washington area, 
so I will be reachable in person if necessary.

My association with DARPA began in 1967 at UCLA when I worked on a 
computer performance monitoring project sponsored by DARPA.  Shortly 
thereafter, I worked with Len Kleinrock on the ARPANET Network 
Measurement Center and with Steve Crocker, Jon Postel, the BBN guys, and
a lot of you out there on the ARPANET protocols.  At Stanford, I began 
work on a project started by Bob Kahn called the Internet Project.  This
effort occupied much of my time at Stanford and, after I came to DARPA, 
much of my time there.  So the last 15 years of my professional career I
count as DARPA years (9 in universities and 6 at DARPA).

It has been a very special honor for me to have worked with all of you. 
Your enthusiasm, expertise, energy and vision have been a source of 
motivation for me both personally and professionally.  I count many of 
you now as special personal friends as a result of our work together.

I will miss the pace of DARPA's world and its special people, 
particularly the guidance, advice and stimulation of Bob Kahn, the 
Director of the Information Processing Techniques Office.  It is indeed 
rare to find anyone with such breadth and depth, and it is a source of 
great pride to me to have worked for and with him for so long.

I can be reached after November 1 at the following address:

MCI Telecommunications Inc.
MCI Building
1133 19th Street NW
Washington, DC 20036

(202) 872-1600

As to electronic access, I am less sure.  My ISI mailbox will be retired
on 1 November, allowing 2 weeks to clean it out.

The Internet Project at DARPA will be handled personally by Bob Kahn. 
The Network Security effort will be the responsibility of Barry Leiner. 
Others not quite fitting into either category should raise any questions
or issues with Bob Kahn.  Queries about ARPANET access, if they must be 
answered by DARPA rather than DCA, should be sent to Mrs. Dona 
McKenney-Vance (McKenney@ISIA).

Technical issues relating to the Internet Project should be raised with 
Dave Clark, the Internet Architect, at MIT (DCLARK@MIT-MULTICS) or with 
Jon Postel, the Internet Numbers CZAR, at ISI (POSTEL@ISIF).  Jon and 
Dave can also help you with any NCP->TCP transition questions.

Documentation on the Internet is available from the NIC (NIC@SRI-NIC).

I want to thank you all for making the last 15 years such memorable ones
for me.  I shall miss you, and I truly hope that our professional and 
personal paths will cross often in the years ahead.

Vint Cerf

-------

From NIC@SRI-NIC dow Oct 1 02:56:00 1982
Mail-from: ARPANET host SRI-NIC rcvd at 1-Oct-82 0256-PDT
Date: 30 Sep 1982 2201-PDT
From: FEINLER at SRI-NIC
Subject: Network Newsletter No. 16
To: list-l at SRI-NIC

=====================================================================
ANEWS-16                                      NETWORK INFO CENTER for
30 Sept 1982                              DCA DDN Program Mgmt Office
                                                        (NIC@SRI-NIC)
                                                       (415) 859-3695

                  DoD NETWORK NEWSLETTER

=====================================================================

         TOPIC:  - Reminder of TCP/IP test, 1 Oct 1982
                 - SMTP implementations needed by Jan. 1983
                 - Documents available from NIC
                 - Implementation survey being taken

---------------------------------------------------------------------

REMINDER - TCP/IP TEST FRIDAY, 1 OCT 1982

   You are all reminded again that a netwide test of TCP/IP will be 
   conducted Friday, 1 Oct 1982 from 12:00 to 16:00 EDT, during which 
   time NCP will be disabled in the IMPS.  Those hosts which have not 
   implemented TCP/IP will not be able to communicate via the ARPANET 
   during the test period.

   Will those of you participating in this bakeoff please report 
   problems or useful observations to POSTEL@ISIF with cc: to the NOC 
   (JGORDON@BBN-UNIX) and the NIC (NIC@SRI-NIC)

   If you have NOT implemented TCP/IP, the end of the world is near!
         ***** 1 Jan 1983 is the cutover date, folks! *****

SMTP MUST BE IMPLEMENTED BY 1 JAN 1983

   SMTP will become the official network mail protocol.  All hosts with 
   mail service should plan on implementing SMTP by 1 Jan. 1983 for 
   sending and receiving network mail.  SMTP is completely separate from
   FTP, and is handled by a distinct server.  This is quite different in
   detail from the current mail-handling procedures.  Questions about 
   implementation of the mail protocol should be addressed to Jon Postel
   (POSTEL@ISIF).

   In addition, all hosts must be able to understand the 4-octet host 
   addressing scheme outlined in RFC-796 and RFC-810.

DOCUMENTS AVAILABLE ONLINE FROM NIC

   The documents you will need, if you do not already have them, are the
   following:

   1. The Internet Protocol Transition Workbook (IPTW).

      Most of you have this volume which contains many of the needed 
      protocols.  However, new versions of SMTP and other mail-related 
      protocols have been issued since this book was published.  
      References to the updated mail protocols are listed below and are 
      available online at the NIC.  If you do not have the IPTW, copies 
      may be obtained from the NIC (NIC@SRI-NIC).

      The IPTW contains TCP/IP/UDP/ICMP, the application level 
      protocols, discussion of the address mappings and host table 
      specification, and related information.

   2. RFC-821 - Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (68 pp)
      (Note:  This is a new version that obsoletes RFC-788 contained
      in the IPTW.  Pathname = [SRI-NIC]<Netinfo>RFC821.txt)

   3. RFC-822 - Standard for the Format of ARPA Internet Text Messages
      (47 pages)  (Note:  This is a new version that obsoletes RFC-733
      contained in the IPTW.  Pathname = [SRI-NIC]<Netinfo>RFC822.txt)

   4. RFC-819 - The Domain Naming Convention for Internet User
      Applications (18 pp).  Pathname = [SRI-NIC]<Netinfo>RFC819.txt)

   5. Internet Protocol Implementor's Guide - This document gives an
      overview of the protocols and some general implementation
      guidelines.  Copies have been sent to everyone who has a copy
      of the IPTW and should be arriving soon.  This document is not
      necessary to the implementation of the protocols, but is very
      useful.  Additional copies are available from NIC@SRI-NIC.

   Changes are taking place rapidly.  We will try to keep you informed 
   of events and necessary documentation (new or updated) via this 
   newsletter.  Please see that implementors at your site are added to 
   the Network Newsletter distribution list (ANEWS) by sending a request
   to NIC@SRI-NIC, or otherwise see that they are notified of 
   newsletters as they are published.

   Documents online at the NIC can be obtained via FTP from your local 
   host using username 'anonymous' and pw=guest.

TCP IMPLEMENTATION SURVEY BEING CONDUCTED

   The NIC is conducting a survey on behalf of DCA, of who has TCP/IP 
   and related software implementations and products.  Questionnaires 
   have been included in the current mailing of the Internet Protocol 
   Implementation Guide.  A copy of the questionnaire is also online at 
   SRI-NIC (10.0.0.73) as file <NETINFO>TCP-QUESTIONNAIRE.TXT if you 
   prefer to submit the information online.  Return completed 
   questionnaires to NIC@SRI-NIC or to E. Feinler, SRI International, 
   Room EJ221, 333 Ravenswood Ave., Menlo Park, CA, 94025.

   If you have promotional or descriptive literature for any of the 
   implementations or products, please send copies to the NIC for 
   reference, and keep us on your mailing list for future announcements,
   advertising, or descriptive brochures.

-------

From NIC@SRI-NIC dow Nov 2 10:19:00 1982
Mail-from: ARPANET host SRI-NIC rcvd at 2-Nov-82 1019-PST
Date:  2 Nov 1982 0212-PST
From: FEINLER at SRI-NIC
Subject: Network Newsletter No. 17
To: ANEWS-DIST: ;

=====================================================================
ANEWS-17                                      NETWORK INFO CENTER for
1 Nov 1982                                DCA DDN Program Mgmt Office
                                                        (NIC@SRI-NIC)
                                                       (415) 859-3695

                  DoD NETWORK NEWSLETTER

=====================================================================

         TOPIC:  - More TCP/IP tests, Nov 15; Dec 13,14, 1982
                 - Next Sponsor's Meeting, Dec. 2, 1982
                 - SMTP implementations needed by Jan. 1983
                 - TAC User Guide now available
                 - AAAI Conf. - Call for papers

---------------------------------------------------------------------

ATTENTION - NETWIDE TCP EXPERIMENT - NOV 15, DEC 13 & 14, 1982

On November 15, December 13, and December 14, 1982, for a 24-hour period
each day (00:01 to 24:00 EST), a TCP-only experiment will be conducted 
on the ARPANET.  During this period, the ARPANET IMPS will be disabled 
from sending NCP Host-to-Host traffic, and network traffic measurements 
will be taken.

The method that will be used to disable the NCP trafic will be for the 
IMPS to reject any messages submitted by the hosts that use link 0 
(i.e., that have bits 65-72 in the 1822 leader set to zero).  If an IMP 
receives such a message, it will respond to the host with a type 7 
(destination host or IMP dead) subtype 3 (communication with the 
destination host is administratively prohibited) message (see BBN Report
1822, page 3-30).  This response is consistent with the IMP's present 
behavior, and this is similar to the method that was used when short 
leaders were removed from the network.

During the test, hosts that are running NCP and TCP in parallel with 
shared remote host state tables may encounter some problems unless their
NCP is turned off for the duration.  Several TOPS-20 TCP implementations
fall into this category, and other hosts may as well.  TCP-only hosts 
should encounter no difficulties, and NCP-only hosts will be unable to 
use the network.

It is important to note that this method of disabling NCP traffic will 
be used once the network pases the TCP-only date next year (1 Jan 83), 
so your host software should (if it cannot now) be able to correctly 
recognize and handle type 7, subtype 3 messages from the IMP.

Any technical questions concerning the test may be direct to Andrew 
Malis (Malisatbbn-unix), (617) 497-3419.  Any administrative questions 
should be directed to DCA Code B645 (formerly Code 252) 
(DCACODE252ATUSC-ISI).

Regards,
Jack Snively
DCA Code B645
ARPANET MANAGEMENT
TELEPHONE: (202) 692-6175/6176 or
(AV) 222-6175/6176.

SPONSORS MEETING TO BE HELD DEC. 2, 1983

The Sponsors Meeting will be held on Dec. 2, 1983 in Washington, D.C.  
Time and place to be announced in a future message.

We anticipate spending some time at the meeting on the subject of the 
DDN, particularly as it affects the ARPANET and the Sponsors.  We would 
also like to include other imporatant topics, time permitting.  
Suggested topics for discussion, along with their relative importance, 
who should present them, and about how much time is required should be 
sent to us here at DCA (GPARK@BBNC).  The agenda will be prepared from 
these suggestions.  We may not be able to cover everything, but will try
to include the things which you consider most important.

Regards,

Glynn Parker
DCA Code B627

2ND REMINDER - SMTP MUST BE IMPLEMENTED BY 1 JAN 1983

SMTP will become the official network mail protocol.  All hosts with 
mail service should plan on implementing SMTP by 1 Jan. 1983 for sending
and receiving network mail.  SMTP is completely separate from FTP, and 
is handled by a distinct server.  This is different in detail from the 
current mail-handling procedures.  Questions about implementation of the
mail protocol should be addressed to Jon Postel (POSTEL@ISIF).

In addition, all hosts must be able to understand the 4-octet host 
addressing scheme outlined in RFC-796 and RFC-810.

TAC USER GUIDE ONLINE AT THE NIC

Robin Clifford of BBN has just published a revised TAC User Guide (BBN 
Rept. 4780, Oct. 1982).  Contact your local TAC Liaison first for 
hardcopies.  If the TAC Liaison is out of copies, contact Judy Gordon at
BBN (jgordon@bbn-unix) on the East Coast and NIC@SRI-NIC on the West 
coast for hardcopies.  The User Guide is also online on SRI-NIC 
(10.0.0.73) in the file <NETINFO>TAC-USER-GUIDE.DOC.  It can be FTPed to
your local host using username=anonymous, pw=guest.

AAAI CALL FOR PAPERS

The 3rd National Conference on Artificial Intelligence will be held in 
Washington, D.C., Aug. 22-26, 1983 at the Washington Hilton.  Authors 
are invited to submit short papers on original research covering any 
aspect of artificial intelligence.  Submit papers to:  American 
Association for Artificial Intelligence, 445 Burgess Drive, Menlo Park, 
Ca 94025, (415) 328-3123, AAAI-OFFICE@SUMEX-AIM.  Program Chairman is 
Michael R. Genesereth, Computer Science Dept., Stanford University, 
Stanford, CA, (415) 497-0324, CSD.Genesereth@SU-SCORE.  Watch your 
electronic bulletin board for further details.

-------

From NIC@SRI-NIC dow Dec 20 16:12:00 1982
Mail-from: ARPANET host SRI-NIC rcvd at 20-Dec-82 1612-PST
Date: 20 Dec 1982 1227-PST
From: NIC at SRI-NIC
Subject: Network Newsletter No. 18
To: ANEWS-DIST: ;
cc: DCA: ;

=====================================================================
ANEWS-18                                      NETWORK INFO CENTER for
17 Dec 1982                               DCA DDN Program Mgmt Office
                                                        (NIC@SRI-NIC)
                                                       (415) 859-3695

                  DoD NETWORK NEWSLETTER

=====================================================================

         PLEASE NOTE:  - New Policy for Enabling IMP Ports

---------------------------------------------------------------------

TO:  All ARPANET Sponsors, Host Administrators, and Technical Liaison.

As the impending split of the ARPANET into the MILNET and the 
EXPERIMENTAL ARPANET draws nearer, it is increasingly important that we 
have a completely accurate data base of which hosts are on which IMP 
ports. An error could easily result in inadvertently denying service to 
a user, which we want to avoid.

Accordingly, we are asking that all new additions of hosts to the 
network, and port changes of existing hosts be coordinated with the 
Defense Data Network Program Management Office (DDN-PMO) prior to 
implementation.  BBN has been instructed to disable all currently unused
ports, and to enable them only upon approval from the DDN-PMO.

Requests for port assignment and activation should be sent to the 
following netmail addresses for action:

   DCACODE252 at USC-ISI
   DCACODEB627 at BBNB
   GPARK at BBNB.

Info copy should be sent to

   NIC at NIC
   CONTROL at BBN-UNIX.

Allow at least one week prior to the desired activation date.

-------

HEIDI B. HEIDEN
Colonel, USA
Program Manager
Defense Data Network
-------

From NIC@SRI-NIC dow Dec 21 20:32:00 1982
Mail-from: ARPANET host SRI-NIC rcvd at 21-Dec-82 2032-PST
Date: 21 Dec 1982 1720-PST
From: NIC at SRI-NIC
Subject: Network Newsletter No. 19
To: ANEWS-DIST: ;
cc: DCA: ;

=====================================================================
ANEWS-19                                      NETWORK INFO CENTER for
22 Dec 1982                               DCA DDN Program Mgmt Office
                                                        (NIC@SRI-NIC)
                                                       (415) 859-3695

                     DoD NETWORK NEWSLETTER

=====================================================================

       PLEASE NOTE:  - TCP/IP Cutover Takes Place 1 Jan. 1983

---------------------------------------------------------------------

The Defense Data Network Program Management Office (DDN-PMO) is 
committed to the implementation of TCP/IP and related protocols 
effective 1 Jan 1983.  Starting 00:01 (est) 1 Jan 1983 use of NCP will 
not be permitted unless specific exception is granted by the DDN-PMO. 
Reclama requesting exceptions to this policy may be submitted via the 
network prior to 1 Jan 1983.  Address the reclama to:

   to: dcacodeB627@bbnb
   cc: dcacode252@usc-isi, nic@sri-nic

After 1 Jan 1983, if you are unable to use the network, reclamas may be 
submitted via U.S.Mail to:

   HQDCA
   CodeB610 (WUB)
   Washington, D.C. 20305

The reclama must provide:

   - A sufficiently detailed justification of your requirement to
     allow a case by case evaluation to be made.
   - A schedule of TCP/IP conversion.
   - The source of your TCP/IP implementation - if known
   - A list of the other hosts with which you require interoperability.

Should further information be required, points of contact in this matter
are

   Maj. Bruce Sweeney  703-285-5020   or
   Mr.  Darryl Henry  703-285-5038    or
   Mr.  Wayne Grindle  703-285-5045

-----

Heidi B. Heiden
Colonel, USA
Program Manager
Defense Data Network

-------

13-Jan-83 19:19:37-PST,5542;000000000001
Mail-From: SMTP created at 13-Jan-83 19:15:19
Return-path: NIC@SRI-NIC
Received: FROM SRI-NIC BY USC-ISIF.ARPA WITH TCP ; 13 Jan 83 19:14:28 PST
Date: 13 Jan 1983 1543-PST
From: NIC at SRI-NIC
Subject: Network Newsletter No. 20
To: ANEWS-DIST: ;
cc: Dcacodeb627 at BBNA

=====================================================================
ANEWS-20                                      NETWORK INFO CENTER for
13 Jan 1983                               DCA DDN Program Mgmt Office
                                                        (NIC@SRI-NIC)
                                                       (415) 859-3695

                     DoD NETWORK NEWSLETTER

=====================================================================

             TCP/IP Conversion Effective 1 Jan 83

---------------------------------------------------------------------

1. The network  transition to exclusive  use of TCP/IP  took place  as
scheduled.  The  net is  up with  relatively few  NCP-only  exemptions
granted.  Individual host  TCP implementation  problems have  occurred
and  exemptions  were  granted  to  those  sites  experiencing  severe
disruption of service.  The exemptions are temporary and firm  cutover
dates (to TCP-only operation) have been published (see Table 1).

2.  To  support those  users  whose hosts  are  still using  NCP,  the
ARPANET terminal access controllers (TAC) will continue to support NCP
through January 1983.  This will allow hosts using NCP an  opportunity
to transition  to TCP  without  seriously disrupting  remote  terminal
service.  Terminal users will have to enter an additional command when
connecting to a TAC in order to  communicate with NCP hosts.  As of  1
Feb 83, all TACs will run TCP/IP only.

3.  The University of Delaware (UDEL)  has agreed to serve as a  mail-
forwarding relay  during the  transition  period.  A  modification  to
normal addressing is necessary as described below:	

   a.  A TCP user with mail for an NCP user will address
        TO: <Account-Name>.<NCP-HostName>@UDEL-RELAY. 
           Example:  PVAYDA.OFFICE-10@UDEL-RELAY.
       Important:  The origin host must be TCP.

   b.  An NCP user with mail for a TCP user will address
        TO: <Account-Name>.<TCP-HostName>@UDEL-TCP.
           Example:  DHENRY.BBNC@UDEL-TCP. 
       Important:  The origin host must be NCP.

   c.  UDEL will  return incorrectly addressed  messages.  Should  the
destination host protocol not be known, or be transitioning, UDEL will
complete the transaction  (TCP to TCP, or  NCP to NCP).  The  critical
point is the correct protocol of the sender.

   d.   POC  at  UDEL is Mr. Brendan  Reilly,  (302) 738-1266,
Reilly@UDEL-RELAY.

4.  The list of TCP exemptions is included for your information (Table
1) to enable effective use of the UDEL relay.

5.  Should  unforeseen  problems  result  in a  need  to  request  NCP
enablement,  Newsletter   No.  19   establishes  reclama   procedures.
Briefly, reclamas  should  provide your  justification,  schedule  for
TCP-only implementation, source of TCP  conversion effort, and a  list
of the hosts you  communicate with. TCP exemptions  are granted on  an
individual host basis  and each host  administrator must  individually
request NCP  enablement.  POC  for all  such requests  is Major  Bruce
Sweeny, DCACODEB627@BBN-TENEXB, or by phone, (703) 285-5020.

6. Thank you for your patience and cooperation.

-----
      Table 1.   NCP Enabled Hosts

ADDRESS        HOST NAME        CUTOVER
-------        ---------        -------
10.0..2        SRI-NSC11        1 Apr 83
10.1..2        SRI-KL           1 Mar 83
10.2..2        SRI-CSL          1 Feb 83

10.0..6        MIT-MULTICS      1 Feb 83
10.1..6        MIT-DMS          1 Feb 83
10.2..6        MIT-AI           1 Feb 83
10.3..6        MIT-ML           1 Feb 83

10.2..9        YALE             1 Feb 83

10.0..11       SU-AI            15 Mar 83
10.3..11       SU-SCORE         1 Feb 83

10.0..14       CMUB             1 Apr 83
10.1..14       CMUA             1 Apr 83

10.3..16       AMES11           1 Feb 83

10.4..18       ROCHESTER        1 May 83

10.0..23       USC-ECLB         1 May 83
10.1..23       USC-ECLC         1 May 83
10.3..23       USC-ECL          1 May 83

10.3..24       WHARTON          1 Mar 83

10.0..27       USC-ISID         16 Jan 83

10.3..32       KESTREL          1 Feb 83

10.0..43       OFFICE-1         1 Feb 83
10.1..43       OFFICE-2         1 Feb 83

10.0..44       MIT-XX           1 Feb 83
10.3..44       MIT-MC           1 Feb 83

10.3..53       MARTIN           1 Feb 83

10.2..54       ACC              1 Feb 83
10.3..54       JPL-VAX          4 Feb 83

10.0..58       NYU              1 Feb 83

10.0..65       AFSC-SD          15 Feb 83

10.0..66       MITRE-BEDFORD    1 Apr 83

10.0..67       AFSC-HQ          15 Feb 83

10.0..73       SRI-NIC          1 Feb 83
10.2..73       SRI-AI           1 Mar 83

10.1..77       testing port     1 Feb 83
10.3..77       testing port     1 Feb 83

10,0..87       SANDIA           1 Feb 83

10.2..92       NUSC-NPT         1 Feb 83

10.0..93       OFFICE-8         1 Feb 83
10.1..93       OFFICE-10        1 Feb 83
10.2..93       OFFICE-22B       1 Feb 83

10.0..95       S1-Gateway       Unknown
10.1..95       S1-A             1 Mar 83
10.3..95       S1-C             1 Feb 83

10.1..96       UDEL-TCP         1 Mar 83

-------

24-Feb-83 17:24:42-PST,4483;000000000001
Return-path: <NIC@SRI-NIC>
Mail-From: SMTP created at 24-Feb-83 17:21:14
Received: FROM SRI-NIC BY USC-ISIF.ARPA WITH TCP ; 24 Feb 83 17:21:26 PST
Date: 24 Feb 1983 1450-PST
From: NIC at SRI-NIC
Subject: Network Newsletter No. 21
To: ANEWS-DIST: ;

=====================================================================
ANEWS-21                                      NETWORK INFO CENTER for
22 Feb 1983                               DCA DDN Program Mgmt Office
                                                        (NIC@SRI-NIC)
                                                       (415) 859-3695

                     DoD NETWORK NEWSLETTER

=====================================================================

   TOPIC:  - Revised Procedures for Requesting New Host Approval
             and Port Activation

   NOTE:  This revision obsoletes procedures outlined in ANEWS-18

------------------------------------------------------------------------

REVISED PROCEDURES FOR REQUESTING NEW HOST APPROVAL AND PORT ACTIVATION:

In DoD Network Newsletter # 18, we established a procedure for 
requesting approval of new hosts on the net and activation of the 
desired IMP port.  This procedure has worked well, and has been helpful 
in maintaining an accurate data base.  We have found some ways of 
improving it, however, and are therefore asking you to follow the 
revised procedure described below rather than that of newsletter 18, 
which is superseded by this newsletter.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

WHERE TO ADDRESS THE REQUEST:  Requests for new host approval and port 
activation, and for host change on an already activated port, should be 
addressed to the following network mailbox:

   HOST-APPROVE@SRI-NIC

WHAT INFORMATION IS NEEDED:  All such requests should contain the 
following information:

   HOST DATA:                             EXAMPLE:

      Host Name:                          - SRI-NIC
      Host Address:                       - 10.0.0.73
      Location:                           - SRI International 
                                            Network Information Center
                                            Menlo Park, CA 94025
      CPU Type:                           - Foonly-F3 (System-XXV)
      Operating System:                   - TENEX (AUGUST)
      Nickname (if any):                  - NIC
      Sponsor:                            - DCA
      Protocols:                          - TCP/TELNET,TCP/FTP,TCP/SMTP,
                                            ICMP, etc.  (See RFC-810)

   TECHNICAL LIAISON DATA:                EXAMPLE:

      Name:                               - Feinler, Elizabeth J.
      U. S. Mail Address:                 - SRI International
                                            Network Information Center
                                            EJ221
                                            333 Ravenswood Avenue
                                            Menlo Park, CA 94025
      Telephone (commercial & AUTOVON)):  - (415) 859-3695
                                          - (AV) xxx-3695
      Network Mailbox:                    - NIC@SRI-NIC

   HOST ADMINISTRATOR DATA:               EXAMPLE:

      Name:                               - Feinler, Elizabeth J.
      U. S. Mail Address:                 - SRI International
                                            Network Information Center
                                            EJ221
                                            333 Ravenswood Avenue
                                            Menlo Park, CA 94025
      Telephone (commercial & AUTOVON)):  - (415) 859-3695
                                          - (AV) xxx-3695
      Network Mailbox:                    - NIC@SRI-NIC

OTHER INFORMATION NEEDED:

   Date port activation is required:

   Date port activation is no longer required: (If time required is 
   expected to exceed six months, enter "indefinite".)

WHEN TO SUBMIT REQUESTS: Requests should be submitted at least two weeks
prior to the desired date of port activation.  Approved requests will be
forwarded by DCA to the NOC and the NIC for action as rapidly as 
possible after receipt.

-----

Your assistance in following this revised procedure is appreciated.

HEIDI B. HEIDEN
DCA Code B610
Program Manager
Defense Data Network

-------

7-Apr-83 22:54:12-PST,4354;000000000001
Return-path: <FEINLER@SRI-NIC>
Mail-From: SMTP created at  7-Apr-83 22:50:23
Received: FROM SRI-NIC BY USC-ISIF.ARPA WITH TCP ; 7 Apr 83 22:51:37 PST
Date:  7 Apr 1983 2132-PST
From: FEINLER at SRI-NIC
Subject: DoD Network Newsletter No. 23
To: ANEWS-DIST: ;
cc: ddn-navy at BBNA, walker at SRI-NIC, sweeny at SRI-NIC, bpowell at BBNA

========================================================================
ANEWS-23                                      NETWORK INFO CENTER for
7 Apr 1983                                DCA DDN Program Mgmt Office
                                                        (NIC@SRI-NIC)
                                                       (415) 859-3695

                     DoD NETWORK NEWSLETTER

========================================================================

                 TOPIC:  - ARPANET IMPs and TACs

------------------------------------------------------------------------

    On 30 March 83, a letter was sent to the Military Services and Government 
Agencies which participate in the ARPANET, announcing the establishment of the 
Defense Data Network - MILNET, and assumption of responsibility by the Defense 
Communications Agency for the IMPS and TACs, currently on the ARPANET, which 
are to become part of the MILNET. The text of that letter is quoted below.

   HEIDI B. HEIDEN Colonel, USA Program Manager Defense Data Network

------------------------------------------------------------------------

SUBJ:  ESTABLISHMENT OF THE DEFENSE DATA NETWORK - UNCLASSIFIED SEGMENT
       (MILNET)

1. Effective 4 April 1983 the MILNET, a functional part of the Defense Data 
Network (DDN), is established.  The MILNET, serving the computer systems listed
in Enclosure 1, will provide reliable, survivable, unclassified communications 
between host computers throughout the United States and, in the near future, 
will expand services overseas.  MILNET nodes and TACs transitioning to DCA 
management are listed in Enclosure 2.

2. Initially the MILNET will be fully integrated with the ARPANET until ARPANET
and MILNET resources can be reconfigured into separate networks. The 
reconfiguration will be evolutionary, resulting in physically separate networks
in early 1984.  This separation is being undertaken for two reasons:

   a. To increase the level of resource protection afforded to MILNE
      hosts while providing reliable, survivable service; and,

   b. To return the ARPANET to its original purpose as a small
      experimental research network upon which to develop and test
      new computer and communications concepts and protocols.

3. Once the networks are separated all MILNET hosts will continue to exchange 
electronic mail with the ARPANET, and those MILNET hosts which require full 
internet communications with the ARPANET including file transfer and terminal 
access will be provided those services via mail bridges installed by the DCA.  
While mail bridges derive their name from the fact that they pass electronic 
mail between the two networks without restrictions, they also have the 
capability, on a host-pair permission basis, to function as full internet 
gateways.  Four such bridges are being installed between the MILNET and the 
ARPANET to ensure that approved MILNET hosts have full communications services 
with the ARPANET where required.

4. MILNET hosts whose requirements dictate a more restricted operational 
environment may, at their request, be placed in a separate, closed community of
interest.  Hosts within this closed community will have full communications 
services among themselves, but will only have electronic mail service to and 
from hosts which are not part of the closed community.

5. Information concerning requests for new service will be forthcoming by 
separate letter.

                                      /signed/

2 Enclosures a/s                      HEIDI B. HEIDEN
                                      Colonel, USA
                                      Program Manager
                                      Defense Data Network

(The Enclosures are not included in the Newsletter since they contain 
information which is available in the file <NETINFO>MILNET-ARPANET.LIST
on the SRI-NIC (10.0.0.73) machine).

-------

10-Apr-83 20:22:01-PST,10747;000000000001
Return-path: <FEINLER@SRI-NIC>
Mail-From: SMTP created at 10-Apr-83 20:17:17
Received: FROM SRI-NIC BY USC-ISIF.ARPA WITH TCP ; 10 Apr 83 20:17:25 PST
Date: 10 Apr 1983 1744-PST
From: FEINLER at SRI-NIC
Subject: DoD Network Newsletter No. 24 - Again (Long!)
To: ANEWS-DIST: ;
cc: bboard at MIT-ML

=====================================================================
ANEWS-24                                      NETWORK INFO CENTER for
7 Apr 1983                                DCA DDN Program Mgmt Office
                                                        (NIC@SRI-NIC)
                                                       (415) 859-3695

                     DoD NETWORK NEWSLETTER

========================================================================

                 TOPIC:  - ARPANET/MILNET CONTACTS

========================================================================       
            Contacts at DDN PROGRAM MANAGEMENT OFFICE 
========================================================================

The Defense Communications Agency, Defense Data Network Program Management 
Office (DDN-PMO) is responsible for overall management and policy for the DDN 
Unclassified Segment (MILNET) and for the ARPANET Experimental Network.

Listed below are key contacts at the DDN-PMO.

   NOTE:  When addressing mail to an office mailbox (e.g., DCACodeB613) please 
   indicate to whom the message is intended at the beginning of the message.

CODE B610.  PROGRAM MANAGER

   Col Heidi B. Heiden   (703)285-5013 (AV)356-5013  Heiden@BBNG

CODE B611.  DEPUTY PROGRAM MANAGER

   Mr. John Thomas       (703)285-5022 (AV)356-5022  JEThomas@BBNB

CODE B612.  TECHNICAL ADVISOR

   Mr. Michael Corrigan  (703)285-5030 (AV)356-5030  Corrigan@MITRE

CODE B613.  BUSINESS MANAGEMENT OFFICE

   Mr. James Powell      (703)285-5101 (AV)356-5101  DCACODEB613@BBNB
   LtCol Curt Foiles     (703)285-5032 (AV)356-5032  DCACODEB613@BBNB
   Major Larry Wheeler   (703)285-5032 (AV)356-5032  DCACODEB613@BBNB
   Ms. Charlotte Hart    (703)285-5031 (AV)356-5031  DCACODEB613@BBNB

CODE B614.  DATA BASE AND CONFIGURATION MANAGEMENT OFFICE

   Mr. Alvin Cochel      (703)285-5100 (AV)356-5100  DCACODEB614@BBNB
   Mr. Ronald Gutschmidt (703)285-5017 (AV)356-5017  DCACODEB614@BBNB

CODE B615.  USER REQUIREMENTS AND INTEGRATION DIVISION

   LtCol John Wegl       (703)285-5027 (AV)356-5027  DCACODEB615@BBNB
                                                     DDN-NAVY@BBNB
   Mr. Vic Russell       (703)285-5028 (AV)356-5028  DDN-DOD@BBNB
   Major Bob Farmer      (703)285-5037 (AV)356-5037  DDN-ARMY@BBNB
   Major Mike Allen      (703)285-5025 (AV)356-5025  DDN-USAF@BBNB
   Mr. Pat Sullivan      (703)285-5036 (AV)356-5036  DCA-PGS@BBNC
   Mr. Jack Eberhardt    (703)285-5026 (AV)356-5026  Jack@bbnc

CODE B625.  SYSTEM ACQUISITION AND DEVELOPMENT DIVISION

   Dr. Thomas Harris     (703)285-5039 (AV)356-5039 THarris@BBNB

CODE B626.  SYSTEM ACQUISITION BRANCH

   LTC William Parrish   (703)285-5019 (AV)356-5019  DCACODEB626@BBNB
   Major Nick Salatti    (703)285-5106 (AV)356-5106  Salatti@BBNB
   Mr. John Claitor      (703)285-5012 (AV)356-5012  DCACODEB626@BBNB
   Mr. Ron Hyrkas        (703)285-5105 (AV)356-5105  DCACODEB626@BBNB
   Mr. John Walker       (703)285-5104 (AV)356-5104  Walker@SRI-NIC

CODE B627.  SYSTEM DEVELOPMENT BRANCH

   Mr. Wayne Grindle     (703)285-5045 (AV)356-5045  DCACODEB627@BBNB
   Major Glynn Parker    (703)285-5133 (AV)356-5133  GPark@BBNC
   Major Bruce Sweeny    (703)285-5007 (AV)356-5007  Sweeny@SRI-NIC
   Major Steven Wold     (703)285-5020 (AV)356-5020  DCACODEB627@BBNB
   Capt Gerald Doyle     (703)285-5018 (AV)356-5018  Doyle@MITRE
   Mr. Darryl Henry      (703)285-5038 (AV)356-5038  DHENRY@BBNC
   Mr. Dennis Morris     (703)285-5021 (AV)356-5021  DCACODEB627@BBNB

CODE B635.  TEST AND EVALUATION DIVISION

   Mr. Robert Philbrook  (703)285-5035 (AV)356-5035  Philbrook@BBNC
   Mr. Bobby Powell      (703)285-5137 (AV)356-5137  BPowell@BBNB

CODE B645.  OPERATIONS AND MAINTENANCE DIVISION

   Mr. John Milton       (202)692-2879 (AV)222-2879  DCACODE252@USC-ISI
   Capt Anthony Mlinar   (202)692-3462 (AV)222-3462  DCACODE252@USC-ISI
   LTJG Bob Selby        (202)692-2879 (AV)222-2879  DCACODE252@USC-ISI
   Mr. Jerry Phillips    (703)437-5045 (AV)364-2481  DCACODE252@USC-ISI
   Mr. Paul Farrington   (202)692-5045 (AV)222-5045  DCACODE252@USC-ISI
   Mr. Jack Snively      (703)692-5045 (AV)222-5045  DCACODE252@USC-ISI
   Mr. Carleton Woodard  (703)285-5040 (AV)356-5040  DCACODE252@USC-ISI

========================================================================       
       Contacts at the NETWORK OPERATIONS CENTER (NOC) at BBN 
========================================================================

   Bolt Beranek and Newman (BBN) is responsible for hardware and software 
   maintenance for ARPANET/MILNET and manages the Network Operations Center 
   (NOC) under contract to the DCA DDN-PMO.

   Key contacts and how to reach them are listed below:

   NETWORK OPERATIONS CENTER         (617)-661-0100   control@bbn-unix
                                  or (617)-497-3571

      Contact the NOC for all network hardware problems, for field service 
      hardware assistance, for problems with host interfaces, or suspected node
      software problems.  Inform the NOC of any extended outages at your site, 
      especially those that will affect the IMP.

      The NOC is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.  Call the numbers 
      above with any network problem that is outside of normal workday hours.

   BILL JONES, Manager NOC           (617)-497-3580   bjones@bbn-unix

      Contact the NOC Mgr. complaints about service from the NOC or field 
      service.  Routine problems should be directed to the general NOC numbers 
      above.

   ROBIN CLIFFORD, TAC Liaison       (617)-497-2874   tacbugs@bbn-unix
                                                   or rclifford@bbn-unix

      The TAC Liaison handles any problems using the network TACs including 
      requests to change parameters on TAC ports, diagnosing terminal problems,
      and explaining the TAC commands and their use. The TAC Liaison will 
      direct reported TAC software problems to the appropriate TAC software 
      maintainer.

   MARK WHITNEY, IMP Liaison         (617)-497-2836   gripes@bbn-unix
                                                   or whitney@bbn-unix

      The IMP Liaison handles any network problem that does not need the 
      immediate attention of the NOC such as hardware, software or interface 
      problems.  The IMP Liaison works closely with the NOC and the IMP 
      software team, and will direct problems to the correct individuals.  He 
      also maintains the list of outstanding network problems which is reviewed
      by field service, the NOC, and the software teams.

   JUDY GORDON, New Subscriber Liaison (617)-497-3827   jgordon@bbn-unix

      The New Subscriber Liaison handles questions about ordering new 
      equipment, about installations and retrofits, and is also the point of 
      contact for descriptions of the various options for connecting to the 
      network.  She works closely with the DDN-PMO and the NIC to coordinate 
      configuration changes and to help new users and subscribers.

   JIM HERMAN, Mgr ARPANET/MILNET    (617)-497-3117  herman@bbn-unix
            Operations and Maintenance

      Available for contact whenever service from the other members of the NOC 
      team is unsatisfactory.  Before complaining to DCA or your sponsor or 
      superior, please review your problem with us and attempt to resolve it 
      here.  We are a service organization and are committed to providing the 
      best possible service to our users.

========================================================================       
       Contacts at the NETWORK INFORMATION CENTER (NIC) at SRI 
========================================================================

   SRI International (SRI), under contract to the DDN-PMO, provides general 
   network information and assistance to new network users and manages the 
   ARPANET/MILNET Network Information Center (NIC).   The NIC works closely 
   with the DCA DDN-PMO, the NOC, the Network Technical Liaison, the Network 
   Host Administrators, network protocol groups, vendors, and military agencies
   to help direct new users to the right contact or source of information.  The
   NIC maintains data bases and information servers of general interest to 
   network users, and publishes and/or distributes publications on behalf of 
   DCA.  The NIC also maintains the WHOIS registry of network users, the 
   official DoD Host Name Table, and the DoD Protocol Repository.

   In general, contact the NIC if you are unsure of where to obtain 
   information.  The NIC reference staff will attempt to direct you to the 
   proper contact or source of information.

   For specific questions about programs or policies at a given host, contact 
   the Network Technical Liaison or Host Administrator for that host.  A list 
   of these people can be obtained online from the SRI-NIC (10.0.0.73) machine 
   as <NETINFO>Liaison.txt and <NETINFO>Host-Administrators.txt via FTP from 
   your local host.

   NETWORK INFORMATION CENTER (NIC)    (415) 859-3695    NIC@SRI-NIC

      This is the general 'hotline' for network information.  Phone service is 
      available from 8 am until 5 pm PST.  In cases where it is available, 
      electronic mail is the preferred method of contact, since this provides a
      record of the question or information being supplied.

      All requests for online service should be directed to NIC@SRI-NIC.  Each 
      request will be distributed to the staff member best able to handle the 
      request.

   NIC staff include:

   ELIZABETH FEINLER, NIC Mgr.            (415) 859-3695 FEINLER@SRI-NIC
   KEN HARRENSTIEN, NIC System Architect  (415) 859-6552 KLH@SRI-NIC
   HENRY MILLER, Systems Programmer       (415) 859-5303 MILLER@SRI-NIC
   DAVID ROODE, Systems Programmer        (415) 859-2774 ROODE@SRI-NIC
   MARY DYER, Host Names data base        (415) 859-4775 DYER@SRI-NIC
   JOHANNA LANDSBERGEN, WHOIS data base   (415) 859-3965 JOJO@SRI-NIC
   FRANCINE PERILLO, NIC Feedback, Query  (415) 859-6134 PERILLO@SRI-NIC
   LEDA VOROPAEFF, Documents              (415) 859-2434 LEDA@SRI-NIC HAL 
   HUNTLEY, Interpreter, Query            (415) 859-2236 HAL@SRI-NIC

-------